Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. But they get paid so little and the cost of living is high. Looks great on paper. They live for tips. I guess everything is relative. In our part of the world the icons of finance rule the roost and they can afford to punch up the prices. Construction is raring to go and the big dollars are nothing to do with the tourism sector.

Yes. But they get paid so little and the cost of living is high. Looks great on paper. They live for tips. I guess everything is relative. In our part of the world the icons of finance rule the roost and they can afford to punch up the prices. Construction is raring to go and the big dollars are nothing to do with the tourism sector.
I was on Grand Cayman in February and November last year - I was a bit surprised by the amount of new waterfront construction that I saw in November north of Fosters in West Bay on the road out towards Lighthouse Point/Macabuca. Felt like it's getting a bit overbuilt out that way - no more nice water views from the road for a good stretch.

Even an all-thumbs review of the internet reveals one's odds of dying in an accident is far more than one's chances of catching and dying from COVID-19 but many, including here on this forum, fully support Cayman's government heavy handed shut down. I suggest such people, to be consistent, should just resolve to not get out of bed until September 1.

Personally I'm not that concerned about dying from Covid, but what I am concerned about is the lung damage that's frequently being seen with it. That's statistically much more likely than dying, and that would be the end of my diving career.

Even an all-thumbs review of the internet reveals one's odds of dying in an accident is far more than one's chances of catching and dying from COVID-19 but many, including here on this forum, fully support Cayman's government heavy handed shut down. I suggest such people, to be consistent, should just resolve to not get out of bed until September 1.
Drunk driving deaths only affect 0.00003% of the US population annually. By your rationale, we should allow drunk driving because it's not likely to kill all of us.

what nonsense.

The latest on "Sept 1"
Here is a summary of yesterday’s COVID-19 government briefing:

Comments from Dr. Lee, Chief Medical Officer:

There were 17 positive cases out of 1182 tests conducted over the past four days. All were part of a government initiated screening process of health and front line retail workers, and none were symptomatic. Of all tests conducted to date, 1.4% have been positive, and essentially all have been asymptomatic. Currently no one is in the hospital being treated for COVID-19.

Regarding travel, a pathway to visit or return to Cayman pre-vaccine, would probably require some form of a quarantine and testing process (this is the current protocol for citizens who have been returning to CI on government arranged flights). The currently proposed plan for returning workers who are neither a citizen or permanent resident, is that they must pay to stay under government quarantine in a designated hotel for 14 days ( costing about $3200, including meals and laundry service). Citizens and residents will not pay.

Comments from Premier McLaughlin:

CI will continue to use caution and open the economy slowly to avoid a recurring wave of virus. “Opening borders is something we are not contemplating doing any time soon.” The government is talking about how best to open the local economy safely to replace the anticipated ongoing loss of tourism revenue.

(A reporter asks about opening borders on Sept 1, as that is what is seeming being communicated to potential tourists planning to come here). The Premier replies, “We did not say, borders would open Sept 1. We stated it as, they will remain closed until the 30th of August. If the virus remains, how can we be expected to open the borders? It’s not looking good. Given what I am seeing in the US, a Sept. 1st opening date is not looking good.”

Comments from Governor Roper:

We are restricting the number of returning residents and citizens as the government quarantine facilities are full at the moment.

My comments: It appears that it will be a long time – almost definitely past September 1 - before the borders open. We are planning to return home sometime before the borders open on one of the repatriation fights to the US, and are hoping that they have some protocol in place for us to return next January. Hopefully we will be allowed to quarantine at home.

By the way, you all can watch these briefings on the YouTube Cayman Islands Government TV Live Stream channel. They are scheduled for 2 pm Mon/Wed/Fri, subject to change based on holidays and legislative activities.

CIG television

Meanwhile the beaches opened yesterday for use of up to 2 hours per day three days per week depending on the first letter of your last name (same for shopping days). After two months of being dry, we finally got into the water, snorkeled out 200 yards to a reef and saw fish!! Can diving be far off?

Diving may not be far off but most likely shore diving for starters. Everyone is hard at work to find a way to make it work. I am a WP holder and not anxious to leave as it may not be that easy to get back. The flights are few and between. Have a friend with PR who has been on the list for a flight for a while now. There may be one to Miami being announced very soon.

That summary is interesting and very telling. If the rules are you must quarantine for 14 days at a cost of 3200 prior to being free to move about the country, then the tourism industry will be non existent until a vaccine is found. If that is one year, two years or however long. I have no idea how a dive operator or hotel on Cayman could last a year or two with zero revenue so the island may look completely different by the time we get back there.

Wonder if other island nations like the Bahamas, Aruba, Turks etc will take the some approach.

That summary is interesting and very telling. If the rules are you must quarantine for 14 days at a cost of 3200 prior to being free to move about the country, then the tourism industry will be non existent until a vaccine is found. If that is one year, two years or however long. I have no idea how a dive operator or hotel on Cayman could last a year or two with zero revenue so the island may look completely different by the time we get back there.

I agree - it's all about an effective vaccine, and I think that's what the CI government is hoping/waiting for. In the meantime, presumably any company that needed to hire from abroad will probably have to cover some or all of the quarantine cost. We are hoping the government comes up with a home quarantine protocol for longer-term visitors who have a place to stay and do not intend to work.

Here's another potential solution:

Disinfecting pods and robot cleaners help Hong Kong Airport prepare for return of passengers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom