I have some news to share...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to read this. It's hard to pass up those ordinary times when a cigarette was so natural, like with a beer and some friends. Of course, all your clothes stank after a night in the pub.

My father in law came upon his son and a friend, both aged 7 or 8 and very sheepish with a cigarette they'd found somewhere. Instead of blowing his top he asked if they wanted to smoke it, sparked them up and left them to it. Neither lad took up the habit after that little taste.

This is the 7th day that I'm free of cigarettes.

I've done it 6 years ago as well after a week being completely knocked out with painkillers (surgery on both feet, pins in toes etc etc...)
Unfortunately a rough divorce full of harassment drove me back to it.
Now that the ex-husband is completely out of the picture, peace is back in my life.

Running, diving, an anti-cigarette buddy and another anti-cigarette best friend (I've been hiding to both chaps I smoked and I felt so guilty and ashamed for that) and being tired of washing my hair each time one of them came to visit me, were the motivational triggers to go for it again.
Completely isolated, nobody around me to get on their nerves, nobody to irritate me. But also: nobody to support me when it gets difficult...
No patch, no e-cig, no help what so ever. Lots a fruit and vegetables (on a diet at the same time to keep those Corona kilos under control).

There... I'm entering week 2 now.
EACH ADN EVERY MORNING TELL YOUR SELF THAT IF YOU HAVE A SMOKE YOU HAVE TO START OVER COUNTING THE DAYS AGAIN. Have something to keep you busy and for the first very few days keep you r hands occupied. 2-3 days that will pass and its home free as long as you want to be free. I did that in possibly feb or march of 1997 by may i felt confident i would never go back and bought a new car as a reward. Yes there are still urges form time to time but the severity and the frequency both decrease. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEVOR. Im sure there is plenty here to be part of a support group for you.

EACH ADN EVERY MORNING TELL YOUR SELF THAT IF YOU HAVE A SMOKE YOU HAVE TO START OVER COUNTING THE DAYS AGAIN. Have something to keep you busy and for the first very few days keep you r hands occupied. 2-3 days that will pass and its home free as long as you want to be free. I did that in possibly feb or march of 1997 by may i felt confident i would never go back and bought a new car as a reward. Yes there are still urges form time to time but the severity and the frequency both decrease. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEVOR. Im sure there is plenty here to be part of a support group for you.

My father in law came upon his son and a friend, both aged 7 or 8 and very sheepish with a cigarette they'd found somewhere. Instead of blowing his top he asked if they wanted to smoke it, sparked them up and left them to it. Neither lad took up the habit after that little taste.

meanwhile, 33 years after that happened to me, I finally quit.

edit: to clarify, at the age of 10 or 11 I smoked it, threw up, and the very next day I wanted another one. Took a couple of days before the throwing up bit stopped but the desire/need was instantly there.

I've never felt that way about any other substance. Nicotine's not a rational choice

This is the 7th day that I'm free of cigarettes.

I've done it 6 years ago as well after a week being completely knocked out with painkillers (surgery on both feet, pins in toes etc etc...)
Unfortunately a rough divorce full of harassment drove me back to it.
Now that the ex-husband is completely out of the picture, peace is back in my life.

Running, diving, an anti-cigarette buddy and another anti-cigarette best friend (I've been hiding to both chaps I smoked and I felt so guilty and ashamed for that) and being tired of washing my hair each time one of them came to visit me, were the motivational triggers to go for it again.
Completely isolated, nobody around me to get on their nerves, nobody to irritate me. But also: nobody to support me when it gets difficult...
No patch, no e-cig, no help what so ever. Lots a fruit and vegetables (on a diet at the same time to keep those Corona kilos under control).

There... I'm entering week 2 now.

Would you like a cigarette, here go ahead have one? At least you'll know how you're going to die.

Today's 1 month!
I have no more cravings for nicotine.
But I've increased my runs from 3 to 6 a week.
Quit smoking in the middle of Corona while teleworking full time was somehow a bad idea for my weight.
I have to ditch a few kilos.

I went through this decades ago. I told everyone around me that I was going to be a pain in the butt. Gradually I could drink a coffee without smoking. Gradually other activities that I associated with smoking no longer enticed me to smoke. It did take a while.

I knew I had made it when I discovered I couldn't stand the smell of cigarette smoke or being around smokers. Probably no one is more put off by smokers than a former smoker.

Tough road to follow, but SO worth it. Don't give up! You will be healthier and feel better about yourself when you have it conquered.
Same here. I've been quit for 35 years now. I've gotten to the point where just a hint of cigarette smoke will close up my nasal passages to the point of just barely being able to breathe.

Do yourself a favour, don't go shopping or walk into a gas station alone for the next 3-4 weeks - you will have the urge to buy a pack.
After a month, you'll be over the worst of it, but:
If somebody offers you a cigarette, refuse politely. The first cigarette tastes horrible, the next cigarette doesn't taste all that good either, but the 3rd cigarette will come from a pack that you bought yourself.

Michael
Actually, I carried an open pack of cigarettes in my shirt pocket for 3 weeks after I smoked my last one. Then I put them it in my desk drawer at work for a few weeks after that. I actually found that having them handy was less a temptation than what I had experienced by not having them in previous attempts. But this method may not work for everyone. Another factor that was different also between previous attempts and my last one was that I was finally determined to quit whereas in the failed attempts, I didn't really have my heart in it. Attitude and a real desire to quit are key.

Today's 1 month!
I have no more cravings for nicotine.
But I've increased my runs from 3 to 6 a week.
Quit smoking in the middle of Corona while teleworking full time was somehow a bad idea for my weight.
I have to ditch a few kilos.

So dang cool. This is a monumental task and you are knocking it out. Persevere!!!

Back
Top Bottom