Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobajay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to tell a story from a recent dive and I'd like to hear some various feedback. I'm pretty aware now of what I should have done differently, but I'd also like to know if you think the DM should have done anything differently?

I'm AOW with about 100 dives (mostly vacation). I recently went out with a dive op that I know and trust implicitly, although with a new DM I had only dove with once the day before. On the boat were myself and two other customers (one of which was very advanced and one who had been certified OW a few days earlier but picked up on diving easily-these two were buddies and had been diving together all week).

The DM told us we'd be diving Devil's Throat. This is in Cozumel and I'm sure many of you are familiar. If not, it's a series of tunnels ranging from 130 to 80 feet-some very dark and pretty tight, others bright and fairly open with an exit in view (at least in the area we'd be diving). I mentioned that I had never done this dive but that I love swimthroughs and I had no nerves about it whatsoever. This was true-I was really excited! We had done some swimthroughs the day before and I was just raving about them. As long as they are nice and open and there is a clear exit, I do just fine and my buoyancy is pretty good.
He gave a briefing and was adamant that we double checked our air, hoses, gauges, etc. because this was a very precise dive plan and everything needed to go perfectly.

We descended immediately on the reef and all was good. As we neared the entrance to the 'tunnels' the instructor checked to see if we were all ok and I gave the sign. He motioned for me to slow down and reduce my finning. All was fine, no nerves. He started into the first tunnel and I followed after. I saw one tunnel to the left which was bright and well lit, and another tunnel to the right which was completely black and just big enough for one diver to fit comfortably. The DM had a flashlight, I did not. I began to follow the DM as he turned on his light and swam in-I could only see blackness aside from glimpses of the walls where his light shown. The entrance was way tighter than I was comfortable with and I quickly realized that I could not see an exit or any light. This is the point where I started to feel uneasy. As he went further in, I made an abrupt decision to turn around. There was just enough room for me to pass the other two divers and as I did, I gave them the signal that I couldn't do that swim through and I was going out. We all made eye contact and I gave them the "okay"

Now before you judge, let me tell you where my panicked mind was at this point..."I'm swimming into a dark overhead environment at 130 feet and I feel like I'm going to panic. I could swim further in and have a full blown panic attack in a place where I can't see an exit, or I can get out now!" I'm not saying any of this is logical, but at the time, fight or flight was making my decisions and I was truly on the verge of a full blown panic attack.

I swam back to the entrance and waited. I wasn't really sure if the DM would know what happened and what he would do, but I assumed he would look back and see that I had swum out OR I thought one of the other divers who knew what had happened would signal him when he turned back.

So I waited at the entrance for about 2 - 3 minutes fighting a full blown panic attack the entire time. As more and more time passed and no one came out of the cave I became more and more panicked. I started trying to calm myself and think through my options. I had 2500 PSI at about 100 feet and I was completely alone. I nearly bolted to the surface but I didn't have a SMB and I know there is a lot of boat traffic. I surely didn't want to risk being hit by a boat or left alone on the surface. YES, I now realize that would have been the correct procedure since I didn't have a dive buddy and had become separated from the group. I also knew that the DM said they would be in the passages for about 20 minutes and my thought at the time was that I didn't want to simply disappear and risk the DM thinking I was lost in the cave.

I remembered back to when I was first certified and I didn't want to do a swim through. The DM simply had me swim around and meet the group about 15 feet away at the exit. I watched their bubbles the whole time and followed them with no issue. I thought this might be the most practical thing to do so I started to swim over/around the reef looking for bubbles. Although I stopped panicking, i was still breathing pretty heavy and my heart rate was very high. I had about 1800 PSI and had been alone about 10 minutes with no sign of the other divers.

I looked in all directions and saw no bubbles or divers. Obviously they were still in the tunnels and either didn't know I was missing or were frantically trying to find me. The current was strong and I was being pushed North at a much faster rate than they would be moving through the still tunnels.

Soon I recognized a passage where I knew there was an exit-actually it was the only spot on that part of the reef where you would have to swim out and across a sandy bottom in order to keep moving North. I ascended just above the reef and waited, watching desperately for any bubbles. At this point I had been alone for nearly 25 minutes and I had about 1400 PSI. I was terrified but even more so I was embarrassed at the responsibility the DM must be feeling for me and for the incident. I knew I had made a huge error and I felt horrible. He was dealing with a lost diver in a cave system 130 feet deep and was probably fearing the repercussions.

Remarkably, I spotted bubbles about 50 yards away. The DM had the marker buoy deployed and it seemed they were headed to the surface. Once they spotted me, we all joined up, I signaled that I was scared but okay, and we finished the rest of the dive (ABOVE the reef).

Once we surfaced, the DM asked that we not discuss what happened until we were back on the boat. I apologized profusely and got a short lecture on why it is important not to break the dive plan. The DM also reiterated that he only took us there because we were experienced divers who could handle that dive.

SO, I do know that I should have asked for more details about the dive; I should have mentioned that I don't like complete overhead environments or tight spaces; I should have tried to get the DM's attention before I exited the tunnels; I should have surfaced immediately when I realized I was separated from the group.

BUT, do you think recreational divers should be doing dives like this? Do you think there should be any kind of additional briefing/safety information? Was there a way for me to anticipate that I might panic on this dive?

Strangely, the only thing I really truly learned from this experience is that I need to let every DM know that I might potentially panic in a dark, overhead environment and if that's included in the dive, I can't do it! (oh, and surface if you lose your buddy-which I already knew, but my panicked brain overrode).

Ok, let me have it....

[/COLOR]

Devil's Throat is an over-rated dive that new divers (or even divers with 100 "vacation" dives) should avoid. It can be a complete silt out if the divers in front of you don't have their buoyancy dialed-in and it should never be attempted without a light. You provide no details as to the content of the briefing but if the DM did not disclose that the dive is considered (in part) an overhead environment then he didn't do his job. If he did describe the dive properly then it was up to you to let him know topside that you weren't comfortable with the plan. I'm not going to "let you have it" because I have seen far too many people in Cozumel taken to sites that are too challenging for their experience level by dive ops who should know better. Yes you could have handled the event a little better through better communication with the DM but you are not the first person and you won't be the last put in harm's way in Cozumel.

1 - Why were you on an open water dive without an SMB? Every diver knows (or should know) that becoming separated from the group is a possibility. So every diver should carry an SMB, and practice deploying it.
2 - Why were you in the water without a light? Even if you don't anticipate a swim through, it's always handy to have one for peeking into hole and under ledges. Every diver should get one of the inexpensive AA-powered lights, clip it to their BC, and leave it there on every dive.
Personally, I agree that the Devils Throat is somewhat over rated. But it is and will likely remain a very popular site. Dive ops, in my opinion, should make sure that every diver has a light before this dive, just as they would if it were a night dive. The dive will always be more fun if you can see. Kim and Sue both have lights on their BCDs, and when we've dove the Throat, I've offered my backup lights to other divers. Most have accepted them, and I suspect those who didn't, regretted it.

Ultimately, your safety is your responsibility, not the guides.

You did stay calm enough to think, and to monitor your time, depth and air. These are good things.

If you'd only been properly equipped, I doubt you'd have had any difficulties at all.

That sounds like a fairly challenging dive even for someone with the experience and proper gear. The fact that you entered the water without a light, and without and an SMB, proves you had no business on this dive. As Dhboner correctly stated, this is far from uncommon in such areas. I'm just glad you made it out in one piece.

I have to agree with Dirty-Dog. You need to have a DSMB with spool and ~100' of line and you should have a light with you on every single dive you ever do.

I’ve done Devil’s Throat with no effective buddy. It is certainly well outside of the parameters that most agencies teach and yet hundreds of divers do it every week successfully. It was not a particularly good dive and yet it gets pushed.

Fear is not something you can do a lot about once it gets going. I don't get that diving but once in awhile a couple hundred feet off the ground while climbing it is there. Really there is no way deal with fear other than to gradually creep up to the situations that trigger it and realize that environment is the norm. You should also train for the few occasions where things go wrong. The problem with the tourist dives is there is no contingency for the rare occasions where dives go awry.

If I was going to take anything away from this it would be to have a strong conviction that you do not need to follow the dive master. You seem conflicted about doing what is safe and following the DM. Do what is safe in your own mind! You do not need to follow the DM, the group, or anyone for that matter. Would you have been safe you went ahead? Probably yes. And if anything went wrong, unlikely as that might be, probably not.

I've only got about 130 dives under my belt (take that for what it's worth), but I agree with the above. Faced with the same situation, I believe you made the right call. Full blown panic in a tight, dark overhead without the necessary gear is not good. Whether you broke the dive plan or not and failed to communicate effectively, you took control of diving within your own comfort zone.

simply put, any diver can call any dive for any reason.

the moment you felt in over your head was the moment to end the dive.

anyone who won't respect this is not someone you want to dive with

i would suggest a cavern course to make yourself more comfortable in overhead situations, with the understanding that overhead may not be for you and you needn't put yourself in that situation again if you are not 101% comfortable.

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one. I'm surprised this is considered common knowledge. I have only seen a few other recreational divers carrying one, and they have typically been DM's themselves or rescue divers. I see now that it's a good idea though and I will definitely invest in one and learn to use it.

As far as a light, I use one when I anticipate being in a low-lit area, but I had no reason to think I would that day. I'm used to doing swim throughs without needing one.

I understand that my safety is my responsibility, but had I known more detail about this dive, I would have known that I would not feel comfortable doing it. Note, one of the other divers had been certified just a few days before. I guess I naively assumed a DM wouldn't take that person on an advanced dive. I obviously should not have assumed anything, but that leaves me questioning dive ops...just how much information do I need to gather about a dive site before I agree to it? Or does this speak to my inexperience and I need to hone my skills before diving again? OR Should recreational divers even be allowed to attempt this site?

The only thing you did wrong was fail to communicate to someone that you were going to turn the dive. Others have offered good suggestions, always carry a light and smb on ocean dives. Were you monitoring your no deco time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom