Wrist strap vs. Bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePipingSheriff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Suunto Hel02 where the Boot/Bezel that protects the computer needs to be replaced. I’ve been using the power of Google to find a replacement boot and have found several. The thing that has jumped out at me is that all the replacement boots I have found come with a bungee cord. The instructions say that to use this replacement boot you need to remove the wrist strap. That’s nice, but the wrist strap isn’t broken. Then, I assume, you would insert the computer and adjust the bungee to the size of your wrist or forearm.
It’s been a while since I purchased a dive computer, but have I missed out on something? Is the industry moving towards securing wrist computers with a bungee rather than a traditional wrist strap, or is it possibly just this model?

Thank you!

Don't know if this will help, but I once lost a dive watch because of a freak "turn turtle" around rocks incident. Since then I don't trust the traditional strap on either the watch or the DC. On the watch I have coated wire wrapped through the strap and a thick rubber band also holds my "strap" computer. Overkill maybe-- until I lose something else.

bungie is significantly better if you are wearing a dry suit or thick wet suit.....a 7mm neoprene will compress enough at depth that a traditional wrist strap will become loose.......bungie will adjust for that compression and keep everything tight.

there are also no spring bars to fail, meaning its almost impossible to lose a computer.

I'm really fond of it. If you dive with the same suit many times you just slip it in your wrist, no need to set the tension to be just right for every dive. No more holding a instrument down at the right location while you tighten the strap. With ring system dry gloves it's a bit less easy but I still wouldn't want to go back to a strap. And as a bonus you get two bungees so if one fails it's not the end of the world.

I don't like wrist straps. I use 2 bungee loops for my wrist-mounted computers and compass. Each loop is made with 2 fisherman's knots, as seen in the video below. The stretch allows them to always fit regardless of depth change, and the 2 knots allows them to be adjusted for thicker or thinner exposure gear. If 1 loop fails, the other one will keep the thing on, so good redundancy.

One bonus is that I can mount one instrument on the back of each hand, which is more convenient than the wrist, particularly with dryglove rings. This is extra helpful with a compass, because that little bit of articulation in the wrist allows me to more consistently line up the compass to me eye, which improves precision. In my area the water is often pretty murky, and there are a lot of featureless sandy patches, so good compass navigation is critical.

The problem with the std. wrist strap is that if something breaks the computer is gone. With a bulge mount there are two independent straps. So one has redundancy. If you can find a DSS Suunto bunge mount buy it. They can be used as a bunge as well as strap mount.

I lost a suunto d4i on a wrist strap and have been using bungee since then

i use bungee and my wife uses a wrist strap... i have a perdix and she wares a d4i or what ever it is called... I like the bungee for the reasons listed above, compressing exposure suites, redundancy, easier to put on, easier to fix and save a dive, ect... but my wife likes to ware her as a daily watch and she likes the strap more in the water for some unknown reason (i never will understand woman).

Try both and dive the one you like more...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom