Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't think about the plate "High centering" on the tank with "continuous" roll control, that makes sense.
I am fairly confident that I can make the wedge work anyway (with a bit of tinkering) with my wing! and If I am wrong I will never hold anybody else than myself responsible for that mistake.

thank for taking so much time to make sure we (at least I) don't make stupid mistake and also for trying to find dumb proof solutions!

This. To me, the FP and VDH 18# wing is the Ultimate Warm Water Single Tank BCD.

..... FP, VDH 18, Deep6 fins, .... There is literally not a single piece of that setup that I feel like I could improve.

+ Steel 72 tank.

+ Steel 72 tank.

I’ll take a steel 120 every time I have the option. If not, a steel 100. If not that, I’ll even take an AL100.

I keep reading that when I get more experienced, my consumption will improve. But, so far, it’s not. I’m stuck around 0.5 cu-ft/min and don’t seem to be getting any better. I guess I better keep diving....

I’ll take a steel 120 every time I have the option. If not, a steel 100. If not that, I’ll even take an AL100.

I keep reading that when I get more experienced, my consumption will improve. But, so far, it’s not. I’m stuck around 0.5 cu-ft/min and don’t seem to be getting any better. I guess I better keep diving....
You have to understand, that @couv and Mike Nelson are brothers by a different mother, so don't be talkin' about no AL100's in front of him.

As for 0.5cfm? Ain't nothing wrong with that.

You have to understand, that @couv and Mike Nelson are brothers by a different mother, so don't be talkin' about no AL100's in front of him.

As for 0.5cfm? Ain't nothing wrong with that.

It sure seems like there is when I'm on a 100+ foot reef dive and only have an AL80... :(

I’m stuck around 0.5 cu-ft/min and don’t seem to be getting any better. I guess I better keep diving....

Well I suppose you are larger than me, so as expected your consumption will be higher. But I agree with @rsingler .5 cu /min ain't bad. In fact because I'm lazy that is the figure I use when planning. Additionally, I'm not one to stay under water too much more than an hour on rec dive (there are exceptions.) But try a good old 72 and I would bet you your consumption will improve. They trim very nicely, they are lighter (less mass to move from point A to B) you don't need an additional 4lbs to carry around to compensate for the end of the dive buoyancy increase an AL80 has.

...so don't be talkin' about no AL100's in front of him.
Yeah, I dived one of those one time...that was enough. However, my second favorite tank is my Faber 100
when more gas is called for.

Well I suppose you are larger than me, so as expected your consumption will be higher. But I agree with @rsingler .5 cu /min ain't bad. In fact because I'm lazy that is the figure I use when planning. Additionally, I'm not one to stay under too much over an hour for a rec dive (there are exceptions.) But try a good old 72

I'm willing. But, the reality is, I'm only diving single tank if I flew somewhere to dive - and they don't support CCR. In which case, they probably don't have any steel 72s. Or, if they do, they probably also have a 100 or 120 I can use.

I used an AL100 on the Blackbeard's cruise because the only other option they had was an AL80. And, of course, they only filled to 3000, so the "100" was really only about a 90 (if they actually filled it so it was 3000 cold). But, I didn't need any weight beyond my Freedom plate...

The only downside to doubles is the weight - and that doesn't bother me at all. So, I'll always dive my doubles if I can (and I have to be on OC).

Also, 0.5 is my number for warm water, single tank. In doubles, it's 0.6. In doubles and a drysuit, it's 0.7. If I'm expecting any hard swimming, add 0.1 - 0.2 to any of those, depending on what I expect for how hard and how long.

Regardless, the FP and VDH 18 is definitely the ticket for the rig that gives the lowest consumption rate! :) (like how I brought it back OT - sorta?) :wink:

Freedom Plate 515 present. Thanks Eric, your plate is a pleasure to dive!
fp5.jpg

fp4.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom