Boat dive without buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've just got certified and am anxious to do a boat dive. Unfortunately, my dive buddy's schedule is a lot less flexible than mine. If I wanted to go on a boat dive without my buddy, would there be other drivers there without buddies that I could be paired with? Do boat dives always have a dive master? If so, would they be willing to be a dive buddy for someone by themselves?

and the answer is......it depends.
most vacation destinations include a dive guide. if you do not have a buddy, the guide can do it, or they may pair you up with another single diver.
however, there are many dive boat charters in the usa and elsewhere, that simply sell you a seat on the boat. you are responsible for the rest. that includes having a buddy if they require you to have one.

I've just got certified and am anxious to do a boat dive. Unfortunately, my dive buddy's schedule is a lot less flexible than mine. If I wanted to go on a boat dive without my buddy, would there be other drivers there without buddies that I could be paired with? Do boat dives always have a dive master? If so, would they be willing to be a dive buddy for someone by themselves?

It really depends on the location. Some places cater to people from out of town and tend to have DMs guiding the dives. These places also tend to be those popular with vacationing divers.

Some places tend to cater to locals (very typical in southern Calif, where I am) and DMs do not lead the dives. Out here, divers are responsible for their own dives (with their buddy.)

Whether or not there is a DM leading the dive, it's been my experience that there's usually an expectation that some divers on the boat will arrive solo and will need to "buddy up." The process to accomplish this is typically pretty informal, usually a request from the DM for everyone that needs a buddy to raise their hands and then go get to know each other.

On my last boat trip, the guy sitting next to me and my buddy struck up a conversation and then told me he was alone, needed a buddy, asked if he could join us. We took him in and it worked out great for all three of us.

Best thing you could do is find out exactly how the particular boat handles the situation. In general, divers are a pretty cooperative bunch, we all want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable time... and we've all been in your situation at one time or another.

In my experiences in FL, SC & TX there has always been a DM on board and never one leading the group on the dive. In Panama, the DM lead the dives, which I believe is very common in the tropics. I have always been by myself on the boats and always have been "assigned" if you will, a buddy. They are referred to on SB as "instabuddies". I try to get to know as much about the buddy as possible on the trip out. Most important things to me are how to drop each other's weights and general dive plan. I have been lucky in not being with any real losers.
But as they say, things can vary according to the locale.

On any boat dives I've been on there has been a DM. When there's been a solo diver, the DM has gone in with him/her. Also, I've gone solo a few times on a boat and I've always been able to tag along with a group of 2. Divers are a friendly bunch.

Hi @OnTheMark

I go to boats alone, but I also have almost 1300 dives so I generally end up being the "instabuddy", which I don't mind. I dive mostly in Cozumel. In Cozumel, there is always a DM in the water. As @scubadada said, "Where are you?" Where do you plan to dive? Since you are newly certified, you want to insure that you have a buddy of some kind.
Contact the DiveOp that you plan to dive with and see what their answer is. You don't need YOUR buddy, but being new to the sport you should have a buddy that you are comfortable diving with AND that is comfortable diving with you. While you enthusiasm is high and your desire to get underwater is commendable, PLEASE make sure that you have a competent buddy or, at least, someone you trust with which to dive. You may want to hire a private DM to accompany you on your early dives. They will let you plan and dive your dive, but be there as your buddy. As I said, contact the DiveOp you will be diving with. They want to get you in the water as much as you want to be there. Just remember Don't do ANYTHING that isn't safe. Always be SAFE. Also, you may want to consider getting dive insurance. DAN has some of the better insurance plans. Good luck!

Welcome to the community. Congratulations on your certification.

Cheers,

I've gone on over 100 boat dives by myself and never had a problem. There are two types of dives: the herd and the buddy dives. The herd is a DM led dive where the whole group follows the DM. If the group is large a second DM will usually follow in the rear of the group. In this case stay close enough so that if you need air you can swim to the nearest person and grab them to get their attention. With the buddy dive the DM or captain will make sure everyone has a buddy. They will pair you up with someone or have you dive with another pair. If you are uncomfortable with any of this hire your own DM to dive with you from the shop. Let the captain know before you leave the harbor that you are alone and do not have a buddy.

Thanks for all the great advice. For those who asked, I'm looking at doing a boat dive either in Pensacola (where I got certified), the keys or maybe Grand Cayman. I have the extremely good fortune of having a daughter that works for an airline so I can fly stand-by. Also, looking for good dives that are 60' or less, since I don't have my advanced certification yet

Hi @OnTheMark

I don't know Pensacola. Many operators in the Keys, some with a guide in the water, some without. Plenty of dives under 60 feet, if that is what you want. You may not be able to get to Grand Cayman soon, most of the dives are guided or with the choice of independent buddy diving

Back
Top Bottom