Starting Technical diving GUE Vs TDI VS PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes a SF2 is only a closed SF1 which itself is a RB80 clone:)
It would have seen as a natural choice.
Maybe the carbon construction, maybe more personal link with JJ and AP?
Anyway, they made a choice and it is their and they look happy with that:)
I don't know if the SF2 was widely marketed at the time the JJ was decided on (~6yrs ago)

I'm not really an SF2 fan so I think they made a better choice with the JJ

Thanks everyone for your comments and advise. I've contacted my instructor and I decided to go for GUE. It's a bit more expensive, but it seems like it worth every penny, and it's the right investment.

Don't think you'll go wrong. Oddly enough, often the ones that have the most set ideas about how "rigid" GUE is, are the one who haven't taken a class, or who never got past Fundie. Having taken take curriculum from F, T1, T2 CCR, C1, C2 and DPV and IANTD Cave DPV and TDI CCR Cave crossover, my experience have been that the further you get in the GUE ladder, the more options opens up. You learn to use the tools you have been taught in a unified manner with focus on predictable actions by a competent team. TDI and IANDT classes were more "single diver doing exercises" rather than true problemsolving in a team manner.

Have used the GUE JJ for a few years now, and spending a week in the mountains in Norway doing cave dives with two sets of 7s, doing dives in the range from 20-100m with the only fill needed being the luxury of filling argon and O2 at the local shop. (No other gas needed fills). At least in Norway where diveshops are few, and far apart, the GUE rig works perfectly.

...Is AG no longer with UTD? Doesn't even seem to be listed as a current instructor...

No, AG has been out of UTD for several months.

didnt he start UTD ?

you know ........i thought that it would not last

yeah i did too , some of his ideas were good

GUE, TDI, PADI are all good programs by standards. It is ALL about the instructor, not the agency.

Choose based on the instructor, not the agency.
It’s all based on the instructor and not the agency, except for GUE. With GUE, you can’t go wrong apart from selecting different personality and teaching styles. They have standards and they follow them.

GUE has a great program. Hold your nose when dealing with the attitude of the instructors, and get the training.

Once you get the training, you can find nicer people with whom to dive. You don't have to stick with GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom