Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[snip]on unimproved roads.
Taco's will likely have way more suspension and sport-upfitting options. They are a long-term favorite of the compact-truck overlanding crowd.
I don't have either, although I have buddies with Tundras/4Runners who love them.

I paid $16K OTD for a year 2000 FWD Tacoma and sold it in 2015 for $16K. I now have a 2015 FWD Tacoma with a six-speed manual I'm stupid. Great truck, so far.
TacowagonR.jpg

Between the two...I’d get a Tacoma. You can beat the crap out of it for 10+ years and 150k+ miles and still get $15k+ out of it. Tacoma’s are rugged, reliable, and have great resale value.

I traded my 2010 Tacoma for a Chevy Colorado. I won't say the Tacoma was a piece of junk, but it had lots of little issues that I did not have previously with my old 4runner. Just little things like the ac fan bearing went out (at 18 months) and rattled a lot. My guess (and just a guess) is that the Toyota quality control went down when they pulled the Ranger and Colorado off the market (= less competition). Maybe it's better now. I've had my Colorado for 3 years and I've been pretty happy with it. I can comfortably carry luggage and two full sets of tech gear for a week trip (includes 3 sets of doubles and 4 deco bottles). It's a little tight, and at times I wish for a full size, but the price was right compared to a full size and the 22 mpg I get in a 4 wheel drive isn't bad.

yeah full size is not possible since I have to park downtown. Just is a pain and midsize is better on trails. Yeah, Tundra is ridiculous on gas... 11-12 in the city. They are taking $4k off the Tacoma, Ford dealers are not moving much since inventory is low. frustrating. Ranger is not that much better than the Tacoma maybe 2mpg. I worry about that 2.3 ecoboost but who knows...

We have a 2013 Tacoma with 4 doors, standard bed, 6 cylinder. We get about 20 mpg unloaded and 18 fully loaded. It has over 250k. Relatively few problems, none major. The usual stuff, ac blower and ac resistor pack. The transmission has been a little funky over its entire life. The dealership said there was nothing wrong with it. The polymer bed helps with the wet gear.

our previous shop vehicle was a ford. Virtually everything was repaired except the engine and transmission. I was going to pry off all the ford identifiers and replace them with AZ for autozone.

The Tacoma is the shops primary vehicle and we frequently have 13 or more tanks, gear, and weights.

I am waiting for the diesel version. If that never comes we will get another gas.

yeah full size is not possible since I have to park downtown. Just is a pain and midsize is better on trails. Yeah, Tundra is ridiculous on gas... 11-12 in the city. They are taking $4k off the Tacoma, Ford dealers are not moving much since inventory is low. frustrating. Ranger is not that much better than the Tacoma maybe 2mpg. I worry about that 2.3 ecoboost but who knows...

That is the only real downside with a full-size truck. You’ve got to pass on spots that the average sized vehicle wouldn’t have a problem getting into.

Edit: Per @RyanT post....did you check out the Colorado? I was pleasantly surprised with the Colorado that I drove a while back.

+1 on Tacoma, between the two, I wouldn't even hesitate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom