Diving Morehead City in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC wreck diving is a hit or miss and unpredictable. I've had trips where we were able to dive every single day during the week we were there. I've had trips where we only dove half the week due to weather. I had one trip where we were only able to dive 2 days out of week we were there.

I never dove with the big boat operators whenever I dove NC so I can't comment about Olympus or any of the other boat operators. Our group preferred a six pack boat and dove exclusively with Tortuga Charters. Sadly, the captain passed away last year otherwise I'd have recommended diving with his boat. He was great at reading the seas and getting us out to the wrecks even when the big operators were canceling the dives.

The NC wrecks, the dives, and sand tiger sharks are GREAT when you can get out to dive. Good luck with your trip.

Thanks guys, all very informative.

I've been looking at deeper vs more shallow wrecks. I might be able to get the wife to go deeper, but in case I can't does anyone have a few recommended wrecks that are more shallow?

Still have a lot of planning to do.

And I would stay at Olympus if with a buddy but it would be cheaper to get a room and just have the 4 of us share it (works out to $50 / couple / night).

I bet you would like the Spar and the Indra.

Thanks guys, all very informative.

I've been looking at deeper vs more shallow wrecks. I might be able to get the wife to go deeper, but in case I can't does anyone have a few recommended wrecks that are more shallow?

Still have a lot of planning to do.

And I would stay at Olympus if with a buddy but it would be cheaper to get a room and just have the 4 of us share it (works out to $50 / couple / night).

The Hutton or the Indra should work for a shallower wreck if I remember correctly.

Check in with Cindy Norris and her boat the Instigator. The boat is a real comfortable 6 pack that can do both deep offshore dives and shallower in shore. I think for a two tank inshore trip its around $110 with air tank rentals. I think she needs a minimum of 3 to go out, and she doesnt like to cancel her trips (unless the conditions are way too bad)

Anybody dive Morehead in the winter? thinking about going because I need to use my COVID flight credit. I know the weather is kind of a crap shoot year round, but does it differ in December? Are there as many sharks? Thank you!

Thanks guys.

Any idea of lead time on cancellations? I think I have 48 hours to cancel the no tell motel.

There’s no way they can provide a 48 hour guarantee on the weather. You’re looking at morning of notification.

I lucked out the only trip I took diving to NC, but if I go again...the only way I would do it is if I have backup plans for something to do if the weather causes a cancellation. I’ve heard of people going to dive off NC get an entire week of diving blown out.

Anybody dive Morehead in the winter? thinking about going because I need to use my COVID flight credit. I know the weather is kind of a crap shoot year round, but does it differ in December? Are there as many sharks? Thank you!

The only way I would consider a trip during the winter (assuming you can find a boat dive operator that’s running) is if I had backup plans. The bigger question is whether or not the boat is going to leave the dock...not whether or not you’re going to see sharks.

When I called a couple operators one winter...they indicated that the only diving they were doing was via trips to warm water destinations. Ex. Florida. If I was going to do a fly and dive in December...I’d be looking at FL. It’s not a sure thing that time of year, but your odds are likely better of leaving the dock there than NC.

There’s no way they can provide a 48 hour guarantee on the weather. You’re looking at morning of notification.

It's fine, I'd lose on the motel but we have to be in NC for a wedding in the outer banks anyway. Absolute worst case is I'm in Morehead City with the wife for 2 days (without kids)...I could think of worse places to be, lol.

It's fine, I'd lose on the motel but we have to be in NC for a wedding in the outer banks anyway. Absolute worst case is I'm in Morehead City with the wife for 2 days (without kids)...I could think of worse places to be, lol.

There are worse places to be than Morehead City. Nice little town, good restaurants, maritime museum in nearby Beaufort, Atlantic Beach is nearby.

There are worse places to be than Morehead City. Nice little town, good restaurants, maritime museum in nearby Beaufort, Atlantic Beach is nearby.

It'll be nice to get away, I mean, I would love to mix diving in, but I'm ok as that'll either be "meant to be" or not, no big deal.

Here's a question. I'm diving (if it happens) with cousins that are diving singles. They will be limited by their air while I'm diving doubles. Not having been to NC before, how stringent are they about coming up as a team? We did the St. Lawrence last year and they were great about letting everyone do what they were comfortable with.

I mean, I'll find out when I get there, but still like to get an idea what I'm in for.

Back
Top Bottom