Philipines dive trip April 2024 - 10 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adelebird

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to diving (about 20 dives done in South East Asia) and would like to get your recommendations about where I should go in the Philippines for my next diving trip. I have about 10 days in the begining of April (yes I should have planned this earlier...), I would love to see healthy reefs and as I don't have a lot of experience I want to avoid places known for very strong currents.
So from what I have read online I have seen Malapascua, Dumagette / Dauin with the Apo island but maybe I have missed other places suitable at this season for my level and accessible from Kuala Lumpur.

Thanks for your help. :)

You might have just avoid the Easter peak period for travelling from the returning domestic helpers. Air fare is usually higher because of demand at that time.

KUL has direct flight to either Cebu(CEB) or Manila(MNL).
Moalboal is only about 3hrs by bus from Cebu Southern Bus Terminal. Mainly wall dive so current is not critical ie drift with the current. Interesting side trip would be to Oslob(whaleshark).

Not sure how accurate is the price.
Eve's Kiosk is right next door.

Dumaguete is just a short ride on the bus and equally short ferry crossing.
Apo Island is not everyone cup of tea to stay because of lack of facilities.

With only 20 dives and looking for healthy reef. I think your best bet is Moalboal - some nice corals just 2-5 min away and Pescador island a little bit further (but Pescador had quite a current when we visited, not sure if that the norm there. You just go with the flow, no need to kick against it).

Dumaguette/Dauin is (mostly) muck diving: swimming over black sand and spotting small to medium sized critters. I love this type of diving now, but sure did not enjoy it at all as a beginner.

Bohol could be good as well.

Malapascua is amazing - the threshers came so close when we visited, but again with only 20 dives I would maybe wait with Mala, though there are places with beautiful corals and lots of stuff to see (seahorses, nudies, ghost pipe fish, frog fish)

I very much enjoyed diving at Apo island. Nice reefs, good visibility, lots of fish.

Bubbles dive site is one of my favorite dives there. I quite like quiet, serene, sandy dives and add the field of geothermal bubbles, it's mesmerizing to me.

I like shore dives and I thought Dauin was good for that as well.

You might have just avoid the Easter peak period for travelling from the returning domestic helpers. Air fare is usually higher because of demand at that time.

KUL has direct flight to either Cebu(CEB) or Manila(MNL).
Moalboal is only about 3hrs by bus from Cebu Southern Bus Terminal. Mainly wall dive so current is not critical ie drift with the current. Interesting side trip would be to Oslob(whaleshark).

Not sure how accurate is the price.
Eve's Kiosk is right next door.

Dumaguete is just a short ride on the bus and equally short ferry crossing.
Apo Island is not everyone cup of tea to stay because of lack of facilities.

Thank you for all your advice. I don't have much choice in the dates unfortunately but I will keep that in mind for next time. I haven't found any direct flight from KL to Cebu (maybe it's a post COVID thing).

Any recommendations of dive center resort in Moalboal and Dumagette / Dauin?

I very much enjoyed diving at Apo island. Nice reefs, good visibility, lots of fish.

Bubbles dive site is one of my favorite dives there. I quite like quiet, serene, sandy dives and add the field of geothermal bubbles, it's mesmerizing to me.

I like shore dives and I thought Dauin was good for that as well.
Thank you very much sharing this information. This Bubbles site sounds lovely!! How long would you recommend one person to stay in App island? Can you recommend a dive resort?

With only 20 dives and looking for healthy reef. I think your best bet is Moalboal - some nice corals just 2-5 min away and Pescador island a little bit further (but Pescador had quite a current when we visited, not sure if that the norm there. You just go with the flow, no need to kick against it).

Dumaguette/Dauin is (mostly) muck diving: swimming over black sand and spotting small to medium sized critters. I love this type of diving now, but sure did not enjoy it at all as a beginner.

Bohol could be good as well.

Malapascua is amazing - the threshers came so close when we visited, but again with only 20 dives I would maybe wait with Mala, though there are places with beautiful corals and lots of stuff to see (seahorses, nudies, ghost pipe fish, frog fish)

Thank you very much. It's so difficult to choose but you information makes it easier. Do you know of some people go dive around Apo island from Dumagette/Dauin to see more corals? Or is it necessary to actually stay on the island?

@adelebird
You have about 10 days to spend on Philippines in the beginning of April. I assumed you have not bought any ticket yet.
I still believe Moalboal is best for you. But you need to arrive at CEB via Manila. The taxi fare from the airport to the Southern Bus Terminal should be around P300.00. Bus to Moalboal is dirt cheap but you still need to get a trike to Panagsama Beach.
You do not need to stay on Apo Island to dive there but operator in Dumaguete(Dauin) does not have trip everyday.

Puerto Galera?
If your flight arrives at MNL early in the morning then the public transport might work because one way of private transfer is about P15,000.00 ~ MYR1,250.00. NO kidding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom