Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so I think Mala will definitely be in this trip. So wondering what second area to go to. Do you have a recommendation of a dive shop in Mala that does 4 guests? Or the private one you used? Thank you for the info it’s very helpful.
We stayed at "Thresher Cove", but sadly they did not survive the pandemic. I've often heard Evolution mentioned, not sure about their group size? My brother in law visited Mala the year before us and dived with Evolution - he basically thought we were crazy to go to Mala since "it's just a circus and you wont see anything close" hence we choose another dive op and got a very different experience. Friends of ours just went and dived with Evolution thought they were ok.
I would have a look at web pages and reviews, then maybe email some of the dive ops to find out the group size (and maybe ask names of the dive guides? - The one we dived with was "Vic", maybe he's still on the island? One of the best dive guides we've ever had!)

As I said: we combined with Panglao - long transfer (ferry, 4 h car drive, then ferry again), but the diving was fine - Balicasag has beautiful corals and we actually liked the diving close to Panglao as well - lots of frog fish:) We dived with Philippines Fun Divers - they were really good. Topside we really enjoyed Bohol - did the fire fly tour and it was magical.
Anda could be another one - or, if you fly in/out of Manila do Anilao or PG? (We're flying into Cebu, since everyone keeps warning me about Manila)

We’re currently in Puerto Galera at the Atlantis (with Scubaboard.) This is a top notch resort, we are super impressed with everyone!!! Diving has been fantastic. I highly recommend.

We stayed at "Thresher Cove", but sadly they did not survive the pandemic. I've often heard Evolution mentioned, not sure about their group size? My brother in law visited Mala the year before us and dived with Evolution - he basically thought we were crazy to go to Mala since "it's just a circus and you wont see anything close" hence we choose another dive op and got a very different experience. Friends of ours just went and dived with Evolution thought they were ok.
I would have a look at web pages and reviews, then maybe email some of the dive ops to find out the group size (and maybe ask names of the dive guides? - The one we dived with was "Vic", maybe he's still on the island? One of the best dive guides we've ever had!)

As I said: we combined with Panglao - long transfer (ferry, 4 h car drive, then ferry again), but the diving was fine - Balicasag has beautiful corals and we actually liked the diving close to Panglao as well - lots of frog fish:) We dived with Philippines Fun Divers - they were really good. Topside we really enjoyed Bohol - did the fire fly tour and it was magical.
Anda could be another one - or, if you fly in/out of Manila do Anilao or PG? (We're flying into Cebu, since everyone keeps warning me about Manila)
Oh interesting. What are the warnings about Manilla? I am flying in and out of there, but only staying one night each time. But I can change it to Cebu. I appreciate all your help and info.

Evolution is an excellent shop. You also have Devocean and MTD. All have good reputations.

Oh interesting. What are the warnings about Manilla? I am flying in and out of there, but only staying one night each time. But I can change it to Cebu. I appreciate all your help and info.
Not sure exactly what he meant, bu the Manila airport is just generally terrible. The terminals are not connected so you have to take a taxi if you need to change terminals. It is chronically understaffed so hour check in lines are not uncommon.

Flight delays for domestic flights on all the airlines I would say are 50% or higher, international ones are less likely to be delayed but still fairly common. The air conditioning may or may not be working on any given day and there is generally not enough seating, poor restaurant options, etc.

I would also recommend Evolution and MTD. I was at Evolution in 2021, and we were the only 2 people at Monad shoal to see the sharks. I think we saw 2 other divers the whole 6 days.

That being said that was before international tourism was opened back up (PH has relatively few domestic divers), so I'm sure it's much more busy now and I'm not sure what the guide/diver ratio normally is.

Not sure exactly what he meant, bu the Manila airport is just generally terrible. The terminals are not connected so you have to take a taxi if you need to change terminals. It is chronically understaffed so hour check in lines are not uncommon.

Flight delays for domestic flights on all the airlines I would say are 50% or higher, international ones are less likely to be delayed but still fairly common. The air conditioning may or may not be working on any given day and there is generally not enough seating, poor restaurant options, etc.
Yes, this is what I hear. Along with: be back in Manila the day before your international flight. Meaning loosing another day of diving (unless you can drive back)
We found Cebu airport quite ok - although they did make a fuss about my husbands dive knife (in the hold luggage), called him to open the bag and show the knife. This time he's not bringing the knife;-)

Depending on, where you choose to do your diving, it would make sense, if you have the option to change the arrival to Cebu - it's a lot easier for Malapascua. If you land in Manila, then you need to spend the night and take another plane to Cebu.

The drive to Maya port is long (or not long, but it takes a very, very long time) we hired a private driver and I think it took around 4-5 hours. Also did a private boat to the resort. I think we left our hotel (Mactan Waterfront next to the airport) around 9 am and reached Mala around 3 pm.

T3 is a lot better than T1.
UA uses T3.
All the terminals 1- 4 are connected by bus but you need to know where to find it. The service is not very frequent.
Manila is not dangerous but traffic can be bad.
There are decent hotels within 5 mins walk from T3.

I had such a bad experience in Manila not being able to find a taxi or scooter taxi to go to the airport and thinking I was going to loose my expensive flight back to Amsterdam. The traffic is horrendous. By the way, the same thing happened the other day when I visited the old town, there was no way to find a taxi, grab or anything to go back to Makati... I learned my lesson and since I visited the city, this time, I am flying directly to Cebu or if I have to transfer there, I will find a hotel next to the airport.

I've never heard of this conundrum before. The traffic, yes, but no way to get a taxi, no. Looking forward to reading more from others on this subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom