Report lost items to coast guard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In light of this recent news article from Bournemouth, UK:

Washed up diver buoy at Southbourne beach sparks searches

When diving in large open waters, would it be wise to report my lost items to the coast guard?

Not you weight belt, of course ;-), but a buoy is a good example of something I would consider reporting.

Thoughts? Practices? Experiences?

[I edited in the *my*, not just anybody's item. I want to *prevent* a search]

As a retired Coastie, I agree with Cuzza.

A washed up diver buoy is not evidence of a distress situation.

Diver buoys are supposed to be lightly held so that, if the buoy gets caught in a propeller, the diver won’t be dragged through an unplanned ascent into a hazard.

It’s expected that some will end up adrift from time to time.

If there were a reported incident with diver/s missing and a Coast Guard search or Notice to Mariners is in effect, and I lost my SMB in the same vicinity, I might consider reporting it as a "negative" so it doesn't unnecessarily expand or confuse the search and search area. But you have to be specific, such as "if you find a buoy with name X, please take note that it is NOT indicating a missing diver, it's just my lost item".

Otherwise I agree with the posters above, it's just a lost item and not to be considered as anything more, or more urgent. But do tell the boat captain, so he/she can let you know if it is found. And yes, please leave the Coast Guard out of it.

No. Buoys and jugs are lost all the time. You would be forcing the CG to waste resources on a search that is unlikely to be real, as illustrated in the article. It would be extremely rare for a lost diver to not be reported by buddies or crew.

Sorry, I was unclear in my question: report *my* lost items to prevent a search. Edited the question.

Sorry, I was unclear in my question: report *my* lost items to prevent a search. Edited the question.

About once or twice a week a "dinghy adrift with nobody in it" is reported to the coast guard here. The CG lets other mariners know over the VHF so they don't run into it. And in theory someone might keep a sharper eye out for a head bobbing around in that general vicinity. But nobody initiates a search or starts up a $5,000/hr SAR helicopter unless someone is reported missing or overdue. Most of the dinghies break loose from a mooring or get floated off a beach at high tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom