New (Additional) Tourist Tax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the US should implement a reciprocal tax collection against these countries which add taxes to tourists from the US. We should charge the same tax which is fleeced from our tourists and apply it to the citizens from those countries to pay the same amount when entering the US. Lots of Covid relief and infrastructure projects need funding.

I think the US should implement a reciprocal tax collection against these countries which add taxes to tourists from the US. We should charge the same tax which is fleeced from our tourists and apply it to the citizens from those countries to pay the same amount when entering the US. Lots of Covid relief and infrastructure projects need funding.

best idea i heard all day.

How many visitors does the US get from those countries? Maybe it has changed but about 15 years ago my ex's relative in Mexico wanted to visit us and had to pay over $100USD to apply for a tourist visa at an embassy. Declined. No explanation. No refund. Wanna try again? Another $100.

Are you sure you want things to work the same both ways? (Just checked - current fee is $160usd)

How many visitors does the US get from those countries? Maybe it has changed but about 15 years ago my ex's relative in Mexico wanted to visit us and had to pay over $100USD to apply for a tourist visa at an embassy. Declined. No explanation. No refund. Wanna try again? Another $100.

Are you sure you want things to work the same both ways? (Just checked - current fee is $160usd)

Best post of this thread - by a long shot

$11.

Let's be honest, nobody likes getting "Nickel and Dimed". Small, incremental increases do add up, but for me at least, $11 is not likely going to affect my "Go/No Go Decision". If the charges continue to add up, things will likely change, but for now, 11 bucks added on to the cost of a trip is not going to change my mind one way or the other.

Everyone's threshold for when it reaches their personal Go/No Go Point will be different, but as long as the tax is in place, if ya want to go to Cozumel, then I'm afraid you're going to have to, as someone once said: "Suck it up Buttercup."

Reactions: yle
While this single charge isn't a show stopper. When they put a bunch of them together it clogs the toilet.

Vegas has pretty much turned into that same problem. Advertised room rates are fine, but the taxes, resort fees, and other fees are stacking up to the point it is over 50% the advertised price of a room. The latest is the parking that has been free for decades, suddenly has to be paid for.

This doesn't stop the die hard fans from coming. The casual tourist will be fleeced once and realize they got taken and quit coming back. And tell there friends they got fleeced with fees worse than at the tables. They are hedging there long term plans on the few die hards and shunning the casual masses.

While this single charge isn't a show stopper. When they put a bunch of them together it clogs the toilet.

Vegas has pretty much turned into that same problem. Advertised room rates are fine, but the taxes, resort fees, and other fees are stacking up to the point it is over 50% the advertised price of a room. The latest is the parking that has been free for decades, suddenly has to be paid for.

This doesn't stop the die hard fans from coming. The casual tourist will be fleeced once and realize they got taken and quit coming back. And tell there friends they got fleeced with fees worse than at the tables. They are hedging there long term plans on the few die hards and shunning the casual masses.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but as someone who loves Vegas, I agree wholeheartedly. There was a time when the target was to get you to return as many times as possible and have each visit (even if you lost a little) a good memory with a feeling of "I can't wait to come back." and over a few visits, they made a lot of money. Today, Vegas is run by corporations who can not see beyond the bottom line for the quarter that they are currently in. Today, they no longer play the long game. They have lost sight of the fact that someone who comes and is "nickel & dimed to death" will leave with a bad feeling and will probably not return, but someone who might lose at the tables, but sees the price of the room, the buffet and the "whole Vegas experience" will not only come back, but might bring their friends.

The $11 in Cozumel is not reaching the point that the additional fees in Vegas have become, but it is a step in that general direction.

$11.

Let's be honest, nobody likes getting "Nickel and Dimed". Small, incremental increases do add up, but for me at least, $11 is not likely going to affect my "Go/No Go Decision". If the charges continue to add up, things will likely change, but for now, 11 bucks added on to the cost of a trip is not going to change my mind one way or the other.

Everyone's threshold for when it reaches their personal Go/No Go Point will be different, but as long as the tax is in place, if ya want to go to Cozumel, then I'm afraid you're going to have to, as someone once said: "Suck it up Buttercup."
You hit the nail on the head
No one who dives and loves coz is not going because of 11 dollars,

The $11 in Cozumel is not reaching the point that the additional fees in Vegas have become, but it is a step in that general direction.

The worst part is that it comes at the end for many, making it the last memory of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom