Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planning on arriving next Thursday for three days of diving. Anyone want to venture a guess if weather will permit it?

Planning on arriving next Thursday for three days of diving. Anyone want to venture a guess if weather will permit it?

Currently the forecast looks decent for that timeframe but keep an eye on it. This time of year it can change dramatically this far out.

Which way does the wind blow that causes the most problems for wave action?

Which way does the wind blow that causes the most problems for wave action?

E & NE are the worst, SE isn’t much better. Anything out of the W is awesome sauce.

Direction matters, wind speed matters, duration matters, distant storms (ground swell) also matters. It can get complex.

I managed to get 4 dips in this weekend - all on Saturday. I saw the Lemon Sharks, a handful of Reef and Nurse sharks, several Loggerheads, a few Hawksbills, a Goliath, and as an added bonus- several Bull Sharks! I dove Lemon Drop and Jupiter High Ledge in the morning and Captain Kirle's and Loggerhead in the afternoon. Viz was around 80' south of the inlet in the morning and reduced to 60' straight out the inlet in the afternoon. Seas were 2-4 but improved throughout the day. It was a good day of wildlife viewing. Four different species of sharks was a special treat. The Bulls were particularly fun for me because I haven't seen them up close the way I did on Saturday. They were in the mix with the Lemons on Lemon Drop and then we saw a few more on reef later in the day. One of them even followed us up to the safety stop for some added end-of-dive entertainment.

I know some others on the board got out this weekend. How was it?

IMG-3607.jpg

Hawksbill at Loggerhead (the irony....)

GPTempDownload.jpg

Lemon at Lemon drop (unfortunately I didn't get any good shots of the Bulls)

I got four dives in before being skunked for the shark feed dive on Sunday, due to high waves. Report coming soon (need to get home and on the computer).

One thing I had never seen before was a humongous turtle walking on the bottom. It was as if it was too big to "takeoff". Has anyone else seen this before? Was the turtle in danger of drowning?

I got four dives in before being skunked for the shark feed dive on Sunday, due to high waves. Report coming soon (need to get home and on the computer).

One thing I had never seen before was a humongous turtle walking on the bottom. It was as if it was too big to "takeoff". Has anyone else seen this before? Was the turtle in danger of drowning?
I think the turtles do fine. They often do the walk.

Glad you got under!

The turtle is in no danger. It’s just lazy. I see the big loggerheads walk around like that pretty frequently. They’re pretty lethargic during the day but when they want to fly they’ll fly.

That’s incredibly common. That’s normal behavior. For the loggerheads especially but you’ll occasionally see greens and hawksbills do it as well.

Just a quick JUP conditions report{Monday Mar 15}. Easy 1.5knot on the very bottom in 95ft off the pier. But as soon as you started up surface current was moving at almost 3knt. 74 degrees and 60ft of viz. If you ck the inlet cam you'll see mirror glass Lake flat and we never get that in March.

20210315_112335.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom