Trip Report Finally, back at home 2023 #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I flew down yesterday. My morning flight on American Airlines, Philadelphia to Palm Beach, was delayed over 6 hours. Lucky I was informed before I left home and enjoyed the time with my wife. I can't remember the last time I arrived in Palm Beach in the dark. I had food for breakfast this morning and delayed my trip to Winn Dixie until today.

Saturday, October 21, Dive day 1

I went out today with Jupiter Dive Center for 2 dives this morning, Capt. Brad, guide Barry, mate Tony. Most of the boat was reserved for a dive club from Tampa, the afternoon boat was fully booked weeks ago.

Today was a beautiful, sunny day. Started off in the 70s and ended in the 80s. Seas were 1-2 feet, current was mild north, water temp was 83 degrees.

The first dive was at Area 51 and it was a good one. Visibility was about 50 ft. We had a Goliath Grouper swim with us for the entire dive. I had several eye to eye contacts at no more than an arms length. There were several small reef sharks and all the usual reef fish.

The second dive was at Capt Kirle's. Visibility was down to about 30 ft. We had another Goliath Grouper, a large nurse shark and all the usual reef fish.

A good day in Jupiter, I'm doing 4 dives there tomorrow.

I forgot to say, today was a small milestone for me, dive #2300, 2297 hours. 244 of my dives have been in Jupiter :)

..milestone for me, dive #2300,
That's a big number, Congrats!!
We're going back out on Monday to beat the storm. Then from Tuesday on,,,, Hurricane Tammy is throwing us 5 - 9 footers for a week and that will trash us.

Sunday, October 22, Dive day 2

Four dives with Jupiter Dive Center today, Republic VII, Capt Brad, Guide Barry, Mate Tony. Sunny day, a little cooler with a breeze. Seas generally about 2 feet. Mild to moderate north current, water temp 82 degrees, visibility from 30 to 50/60 feet.

Dives were at Bahama Brad's, Scarface, Spadefish Point, and Capt Kirle's. Bahama Brad's was new to Barry and to me, he missed the reef about a half hour in and it was a wasteland, we were too far west. The current was pulling west. Second dive was at Scarface. After lunch we did Spadefish Point and Capt Kirle's.

Nice fish life. We saw a few Goliath Grouper, a few reef sharks, a couple nurse sharks, a single Hawksbill turtle, many green moray, and all the usual reef fish.

I will get out again tomorrow morning, after that, the rest of the week is a loss to high seas.

Four dives with Jupiter Dive Center today, Republic VII, Capt Brad, Guide Barry, Mate Tony. Sunny day, a little cooler with a breeze. Seas generally about 2 feet. Mild to moderate north current, water temp 82 degrees, visibility from 30 to 50/60 feet.

Dives were at Bahmama Brad's, Scarface, Spadefish Point, and Capt Kirle's. Bahama Brad's was new to Barry and to me, he missed the reef about a half hour in and it was a wasteland, we were too far west. The current was pulling west. Second dive was at Scarface. After lunch we did Spadefish Point and Capt Kirle's.

Nice fish life. We saw a few Goliath Grouper, a few reef sharks, a couple nurse sharks, a single Hawksbill turtle, many green moray, and all the usual reef fish.

I will get out again tomorrow morning, after that, the rest of the week is a loss to high seas.

Bahama Brad’s is an extension of Shark Canyon. I believe the drop is a little north of the shark canyon drop on the same reef line. So, if you’ve ever done shark canyon you’ve likely done part of Bahama Brads.

Monday, October 23, Dive day 3, and that's it for this trip

2 dives with Jupiter Dive Center, Republic VII, Capt Brad, guide Phil, mate Tony.

Beautiful fall day, sunny and bright, air temp was 65 at 8:00, warmed thereafter. Seas were about a foot on the way our, wind picked up a bit and was 2-3 on the way back in. Mild north current, water temp 82 degrees, visibility 40-50 feet.

First dive at Lighthouse/Loggerhead. A couple of goliath grouper, several small reef sharks, all the usual reef fish.

Second dive was at High Ledge/Capt Kirle's. We started off up on the reef and saw a couple spotted morays, only ones I've seen this trip, all the rest were green. It was beautiful back on the ledge at Capt Kirle's, huge schools of grunts and all the usual reef fish.

I'm grateful for my 8 dives before the seas are up. I'll be back.

Aside: the goliath grouper that swam with for the entire dive on Area 51 goes by the name Shadow. Apparently, Shadow frequently steals the lobster from divers hunting in its territory.

.... the goliath grouper... Shadow. Apparently, Shadow frequently steals the lobster from divers hunting in its territory.
LOL!! I've had a a run in or 2 with Shadow. And then the sharks jump into the fight and both times I've come out on the losing end getting robbed.

Glad you got in a few days of diving, it was nice out there today, Monday.

I rode my bike past the Boynton Inlet this morning. Waves breaking across the entire inlet, occasional waves breaking over the north jetty, big swells.

Doesn't look very good over the next couple of days, maybe the weekend? I fly back home tomorrow.

1698253196305.png

I rode my bike past the Boynton Inlet this morning. Waves breaking across the entire inlet, occasional waves breaking over the north jetty, big swells.

Doesn't look very good over the next couple of days, maybe the weekend? I fly back home tomorrow.

View attachment 807399

Forecast looks pretty crappy for days ... and days ... and days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom