Filling HP Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vibenz

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here that have experienced filling stations in the USA or Canada that are unable to fill HP tanks to specs, eg. 3442 psi?

Or is this just a rumour?

Anyone here that have experienced filling stations in the USA or Canada that are unable to fill HP tanks to specs, eg. 3442 psi?

Or is this just a rumour?

Not a rumor! I’m in the Chicago area and there are a large number of what I refer to sarcastically as “warm water shops” aka after training at the local quarry, they only dive warm water. They have compressors they are either unwilling or unable to take past 3000 psi. Probably unwilling. Several refused to fill my HP tanks to 3442. They’re only interested in filling aluminum 80s.

I refuse to have anything more to do with these shops. They couldn’t fill my tanks and they carry nothing that I would want to buy.

Completely true. As mentioned usually the compressor is limited either by someone not willing to change the pressure setting or the compressor just doesn't want to go that high.

Completely a shop by shop variance. It may be the owner wants to keep things simple for the staff that is doing the fills. Maybe just thinks about his own inventory of rental/training AL80s. Sometimes the compressor is just old and doesn't do well making over 3000. I generally consider it a sign that the business isn't interested in doing business. They have there niche they carved out and don't like things that are different. Take my short fills and don't bother coming back, if possible.

it depends heavily on the shop. some will only hot fill to 3600 psi, which means you end up short after cooling. others fill slowly, but have cutoffs set for al80s, so you still end up short. happens more in areas where al80s are the dominant tank.

It also may depend on who is doing the fill. The manager could give me a good fill, but the tank monkeys were erratic, mostly low. Most of the time they were hot filled so no chance to top off. I started keeping track of who filled them and how far off they were. I explained to the manager, I understand being off a bit but since he was able to give a good fill, there was no reason his guys couldn't do the same.

Between giving him, and his monkeys, feedback each time I came in, and over the course of a summer I had less negative feedback to give, and finally none. I can only assume it rolled over to all their other fills.

I was a pita to them for that, and the fact I had Faber MP tanks, 3180# working, 3498# with a +.

The only way to get a good fill around here is to drop your tanks off and come back....such a pain in the ass.

It's either that or deal with the 3200 maybe 3300 psi fill every damn time. I certainly mumble obscenities under my breath every time I'm descending looking at my pressure left.

The fire department is the only place that I can get a good cheap fill on the spot.

Yes, it’s a thing. In the Midwest and other areas without significant local diving it seems to be driven by whether a shop is focused on training only or whether they encourage and support local diving. Shops that focus on training only have a large inventory of AL80s and that is the primary purpose of their fill station ... filling training tanks to 3000 psi. Anything beyond that is a nuisance. I believe it boils down to unwillingness and not inability to fill to 3600. They just don’t want to and choose not to.

In coastal areas where there is a lot of diving I find the shops are focused on local diving AND training. They want & support local divers. They therefore see HP steel tanks frequently, often times have them in their own rental fleet & gladly fill them to a warm 3600 for a true 3442 fill. I’ve seen this repeated time & time again in CA, NC, FL, coastal MI/PA (on the Great Lakes), Ontario on the St. Lawrence, etc.

After reading all the headaches above, I am glad I am able to fill my own!! Especially glad in the summer months when I would burn about 300 cu ft a week.

Nope, around here, with the two shops I use, it is more the question of, "How much do you want?"

Truth be told, one shop lets me go and fill my own so they can deal with customers.

My home compressor however, caps me at 3300, but more than fine for my LP steels.

HP are filled at the LDS when that much gas is needed..

The only way to get a good fill around here is to drop your tanks off and come back....such a pain in the ass.

It's either that or deal with the 3200 maybe 3300 psi fill every damn time. I certainly mumble obscenities under my breath every time I'm descending looking at my pressure left.

The fire department is the only place that I can get a good cheap fill on the spot.

I get good fills at my shops, they know I'm not in a rush so they fill slow. If they have a line they will overfill so when it drifts down it's at correct pressure.

OP I think it varies region and shop. Around here almost all local divers use HP steel tanks because we are in 7mm or drysuits and want the better bouancy characteristics. The shops know this and know if we get bad fills they lose costumers not just for fills but other stuff as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom