Coast Guard Finds Hazards Aboard San Diego Boat, in Scrutiny That Follows 2019 Conception Tragedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No flares, insufficient life jackets, documentation expired, no flares, the list goes on and on - and perhaps worst of all considering the events on Conception

"At each inspection for certification and at every other vessel inspection all observed unsafe practices, fire hazards, and other hazardous situations must be corrected and all required guards and protective devices must be in satisfactory condition. Vessel used daisy chained power strips and an extension cord to power vital systems on the bridge including GPS, modem for security, freezer, monitor, cell phone charger, and multi-recharge station for radios. 46 CFR 176.830(a)"
I’ve been doing this for a long time. I’ve never seen anyone going into an inspection with that kind of egregious violations. If they have a captain, (s)he should have known better.

No flares, insufficient life jackets, documentation expired, no flares, the list goes on and on - and perhaps worst of all considering the events on Conception

"At each inspection for certification and at every other vessel inspection all observed unsafe practices, fire hazards, and other hazardous situations must be corrected and all required guards and protective devices must be in satisfactory condition. Vessel used daisy chained power strips and an extension cord to power vital systems on the bridge including GPS, modem for security, freezer, monitor, cell phone charger, and multi-recharge station for radios. 46 CFR 176.830(a)"

Idiots. Just scuttle the boat for a new dive site.

Anyone have a link to the full write up? I tried to search on the link earlier in the thread but no luck.

Anyone have a link to the full write up? I tried to search on the link earlier in the thread but no luck.
Tug posted it upthread. It’s found on the USCG PSIX website.

The website doesn't appear have any way to go straight to a record. Here's the quickest way I could find:

- Go to USCG PSIX Search Page
- Type "509013" into "Primary Vessel Number:" and hit SEARCH
- Click "EXPLORER" on the next page (either one)
- Scroll down to "Summary of Coast Guard Contacts" section and click "Click Here"

This is amazing. I wish the USCG would notify their insurance company. If the Explorer is anything like the old Conception she probably only has the bare minimum liability insurance as well. I believe 5 million. What a joke. She was allowed up to 99 people on day trip and I believe 43 over night. The insurance should be 500 million. That way the insurance companies would start enforcing some of these regs.

This is amazing. I wish the USCG would notify their insurance company. If the Explorer is anything like the old Conception she probably only has the bare minimum liability insurance as well. I believe 5 million. What a joke. She was allowed up to 99 people on day trip and I believe 43 over night. The insurance should be 500 million. That way the insurance companies would start enforcing some of these regs.
$5 million? Who told you that? You can get policies with as little as $300k P&I (passenger liability).

you need to be very careful how you run your corporation if you (global you) elect such a small liability limit.

$5 million? Who told you that? You can get policies with as little as $300k P&I (passenger liability).

you need to be very careful how you run your corporation if you (global you) elect such a small liability limit.
I believe the Channel Islands National Park requires the 5 million insurance when they issue the permit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom