A repository of 3D print STL sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that PLA+ works very well for outside use.

...It has a mix of PLA and ABS...

Lex

...like properties.

PLA+ is still Polylactic Acid, but a different blend and with a bunch of additives (like calcium carbonate of all things).

According to the actual polymer experts I have worked with, Nylon is going to have the best long term resistance to sun and salt water. Followed by things like polypropylene or HDPE. But PP is a nightmare to print with and HDPE is at least as bad. Yes, nylon absorbs a bunch of water, so its dimensional stability isn't great. But that's only an issue if you need dimensional stability (for things like screw-together parts or something). Mostly I'd use PETG. The strength and durability of ABS is greatly overstated, its real advantages are that it can be chemically welded and polished, which PETG, PLA and Nylon cannot. I have some CF-PETG I should probably try in the water, but I don't have anything I need to get wet.
But most of the polymers out there will last well enough, the plastics world has figured out how to put enough stabilizers in everything that you need fairly novel requirements before you'll have issues. PMMA, PLA and PC are going to have the worst UV stability IIRC, which is probably the main concern.

For maximum strength:

High contact area between layers.
So wide extrusions. In normal use you want to be around an extrusion width to layer height ratio of 2:1. Ratios of 3 or even 4:1 will greatly increase strength (eg, 0.5mm layers with 1.5mm extrusion width).
Because of the limits of the reology, its much easier to do this with larger nozzles and thicker layers. Which is a trade-off, but if strength is critical, ugly low-resolution prints are the way to go.
And I suspect that carbon fiber filled polymers are getting much higher bond strength, as their rough surface finish increases surface area for the bonding, but I haven't tested that.

Inter-layer fusion temperatures.

...I found I could get a layer right there that didn't bond well if I let it sit too long.

This.
The boundary between layers will be the average of the temperature of the two layers. So if you let the part sit too long that temperature will drop below that needed to fuse the polymer.
You can compensate in a bunch of ways, lasers, silly plasma nonsense... but for those of us not trying to 3D print satellite components.
Higher extrusion temperatures (this is where PETG has a huge edge over ABS, in that its usable extrusion temperature range goes much higher than ABS. PETG is running like water long before you'll start to carbonize it, where as ABS just ups and clogs your nozzle when you get too high). This will push that average high enough.
You can also slow down the rate of heat loss from the existing layer, either by using a heated chamber, or by keeping the parts small (this is a challenge if you are trying to print fully dense parts obviously).
Even a heat lamp pointed at the print can make a huge difference.
The biggest limit is not having the part so hot that the nozzle just pulls it around.

In my experience, PETG, with nice wide extrusions, printed nice and hot, will have close enough to the strength of monolithic polymer that it will break perpendicular to the layers. The limits are the inherent strength of the polymer, not the process.

Oh, and ALWAYS DRY YOUR FILAMENT!
Even PLA loses significant strength if its not as dry as possible when you print it.

And if you need it to be really really really strong, design it out of metal :wink:
I'm shocked at how cheap laser cut metals have become in the last year.

I made some modified versions of this brilliant spool design. I thickened it for strength, widened it, modified the middle shape to hold more line, and probably a few other tweaks I forgot. The ABS acetone vapor-smoothed version came out gorgeous and has been pressed into service. This holds something like 175ft.

View attachment 651068

Thank you for the kind words. I understand necking the middle down for greater capacity -- though do you lose the ability to fit a finger through? Where did you think it needed thickening?

I tend not to put a finger all the way through the center.

It probably didn't NEED thickening but I like to overbuild things. I thickened the rims because those tend to break easily, especially if it's in a tail pocket and gets sat on. I also thickened the interior of the center section where I necked it down because I was worried about the now thinner section splitting in half along the layer lines.

On next version I'd like to add an outward bent flange like this for the slight improvement winding/unwinding and gripping with thick gloves. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hc75d906...Dive-b-font-font-b-Reel-b-font-Snorkeling.jpg

Since silicon wedding bands are becoming popular, I went ahead and made a copy of my wedding ring, a replica of Ed Harris' ring from the Abyss, in TPU. Here is the link to the files Ring from "The Abyss" by Lextone.
ring 1a.jpg

Good evening. I'm looking for someone to collaborate with to design a "spiral mixer" for a nitrox stick. I'm not the best at designing things yet, and think it would be a benefit to the community. Thoughts?

Something like this to fit inside of 2" PVC. I was thinking making it in 2 pieces that could get glued together, maybe for a 24" stick. I'd love to get some feedback on this.

These are sold on ebay for anywhere from $45-$80o_O....that's a bit steep for a spiral.

I know wiffle balls can be used, but I just figured why not something fancy. Plus you can pull it out in one piece to clean.

Any issues with O2 and PLA+?

s-l1600.jpg

Good evening. I'm looking for someone to collaborate with to design a "spiral mixer" for a nitrox stick. I'm not the best at designing things yet, and think it would be a benefit to the community. Thoughts?

Something like this to fit inside of 2" PVC. I was thinking making it in 2 pieces that could get glued together, maybe for a 24" stick. I'd love to get some feedback on this.

These are sold on ebay for anywhere from $45-$80o_O....that's a bit steep for a spiral.

I know wiffle balls can be used, but I just figured why not something fancy. Plus you can pull it out in one piece to clean.

View attachment 656021
This is pretty neat. I never put more than 40% through my nitrox stick, but I have no idea about PLA+ and Oxygen compatibility.

This is pretty neat. I never put more than 40% through my nitrox stick, but I have no idea about PLA+ and Oxygen compatibility.

I can't imagine everything being deemed safe in 40% and PLA is the one thing that ignites.

I do wonder what the prolonged exposure to elevated levels of O2 would do, but who cares, print a new one every other year:)

It's not like it always sees higher levels anyway. 99% of it's life would still be 21% I would think.

I've been dabbing in 3d printing for a while now and I have some suggestions that might help some of you make stronger parts.

ABS would be great, but not everyone can print it properly, ie heated enclosure. For functional prints that need strength/high temp resistance, I now use 3D870, otherwise known as HTPLA+. Even though it's got PLA in the name, don't think of it like PLA, it's quite different. I get mine from Fusion Filaments. It can be annealed in an oven to make it stronger and higher heat resistant than PETG. It prints like a dream and all the printed parts on my 3D printer use this material now.

Another trick if you want solid prints is remelting. It's an interesting process and this video explains the process. This is done with PETG

The technical term is 'static mixing device'.

Making them is a whole industry, especially for nasty chemicals in harsh environments.

I'm surprised that there isn't a cheap and simple one out there that can just be repurposed. They are used all over the place.

At 40% O2... no idea. Frankly I'd probably just build one and try it (in a suitably controlled experiment). But PLA isn't any more reactive than PVC... so you are probably fine (from what I understand O2 cleaning is mostly to remove oils and other lubricants, and even then is mostly for 100% O2).

If I was particularly worried about reactivity I'd make it out of Kynar. An FDM printable fluropolymer that is used for those nasty chemicals... But that's not very easy to get in filament form. Plus if you are printing with it, the MSDS is a bit scary.
It would also at that point be expensive enough that it would be pointless.

All of that is a long winded way of saying that PLA and a simple design is probably just fine, and if you get much more complicated than that... just pay the $45.

I can't imagine everything being deemed safe in 40% and PLA is the one thing that ignites.

Most (ok, all) plastics will burn. Unless you get some of the more exotic stuff... ULTEM, PEEK etc. Heck, I've seen PET blends that meet FAA flamability standards for self-extinguishing. And 100% O2 will basically burn anything at all.
Most regulators are good for 40% and they are not as far as I know using any of the exotic plastics.
You might see rapid embrittlement...

The technical term is 'static mixing device'.

Making them is a whole industry, especially for nasty chemicals in harsh environments.

I'm surprised that there isn't a cheap and simple one out there that can just be repurposed. They are used all over the place.

Or 'static turbulence mixer' or etc. @The Ruttmeister covered the materials issues -- in terms of design, do you want something that's provable through fluid dynamics calculations, or do you want something that seems to work for yourself? Wiffle balls, and almost any design that creates turbulence, probably works -- but the cost of the expensive solutions is likely in the verification (and perhaps the liability reserve), not the design.

If you want something that just works, arrange some baffles and vanes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom