A repository of 3D print STL sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want something that just works, arrange some baffles and vanes.

That would be good enough.

There are a few on Thingiverse but I haven't made one yet. This is one but there are several others that may be better. They can be scaled to fit your tube. Static Mixer. I did try one of the others but it didn't hold together during the print.
Static Inline mixer by lpavaloi

Good evening. I'm looking for someone to collaborate with to design a "spiral mixer" for a nitrox stick. I'm not the best at designing things yet, and think it would be a benefit to the community. Thoughts?

Something like this to fit inside of 2" PVC. I was thinking making it in 2 pieces that could get glued together, maybe for a 24" stick. I'd love to get some feedback on this.

These are sold on ebay for anywhere from $45-$80o_O....that's a bit steep for a spiral.

I know wiffle balls can be used, but I just figured why not something fancy. Plus you can pull it out in one piece to clean.

Any issues with O2 and PLA+?

View attachment 656021
Zero idea if this is what you were thinking..... this is a 6 inch segment, 2 inch diameter. I need to add threads so segments could screw together. If it matches your goals I'll finish it and send you the STL.

Respectfully,

james
Screenshot (2).png

Zero idea if this is what you were thinking..... this is a 6 inch segment, 2 inch diameter. I need to add threads so segments could screw together. If it matches your goals I'll finish it and send you the STL.

Respectfully,

james
View attachment 656133

I don't see why that wouldn't work... I was hoping someone would jump in with an idea. Is it possible to clip / glue multiple segments together? I was thinking the end result should be ~ 18"-24" long inside of 2" PVC.

Good stuff, thank you!

Edit: just read your post again... segments screwing together... perfect!!

I don't see why that wouldn't work... I was hoping someone would jump in with an idea. Is it possible to clip / glue multiple segments together? I was thinking the end result should be ~ 18"-24" long inside of 2" PVC.

Good stuff, thank you!
Fat section at the bottom will be a threaded hole, excess length at the top threaded to match... I'll mirror it so alternating direction segments can be screwed together

Fat section at the bottom will be a threaded hole, excess length at the top threaded to match... I'll mirror it so alternating direction segments can be screwed together

You rock, thanks!

Respectfully,

james
View attachment 656133
That is better than any other I have seen. I would be interested in the STL even without the ability to screw sections together.

That is better than any other I have seen. I would be interested in the STL even without the ability to screw sections together.
Halfway through making threads... standby.

Edit to add: and thanks!

Would it be a good idea to make a mirror image of half the sections to get better mixing in which case just push together would be easier.

Respectfully,

james
View attachment 656133
Just my opinion, but I don't think that design will work as well as you may like it to. I've seen quite a few designs along this path and some of the better ones have designs that split the airflow paths, and your design seems to be 2 opposing spirals without any path splits. Just doesn't seem like it would make enough turbulence to really get the 2 (or more) gasses to mix.

If running down a long tube, I would stay more with proven designs like this. No need to re-invent the wheel.
File:Chemineer Kenics Static Mixer.JPG - Wikipedia

Main difference in the designs is it splits the flow paths multiple times and every time it splits, it reverses the spiral path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom