Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The extra weight shouldn't be a factor because you'll not be using your pony at all 99% of the time, thus the weight is consistent, thus you'll be able to drop some lead, and as others have said here, you won't notice underwater in any case.

For calculating your needs, are you factoring in a 30 feet per minute ascent rate from your max depth with a 3 minute safety stop?

I would go bigger. I see your in Cali and understand if your shore diving why you may prefer 30 over 40. But if you mainly boat 40 all the way. And the 40 can become a deco bottle in the future

I own a 30 for small students to use. Almost no one likes it. 40 are the best way to go for me.

The extra weight shouldn't be a factor because you'll not be using your pony at all 99% of the time, thus the weight is consistent, thus you'll be able to drop some lead, and as others have said here, you won't notice underwater in any case.

It's not about weight, it's about buoyancy; if a slung pony (or stage or deco bottle) is significantly negative, you will notice it in terms of balance and trim. This is one reason most technical divers prefer AL tanks as stages. Yes, you could compensate by adding lead on the other side, but it's not as comfortable as diving with a more neutral bottle.

I can't remember if I have seen this somewhere. How much negative is a full Al 19? A full AL 30? A full Al 40? My understanding is a full Al 19 is one pound negative but am not sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom