Dive computer - pull out battery between dive outings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For those with dive computers, when you go for months or more without diving, do you pull out your dive computer's battery?

I have an Aqualung i300 which I got to use for 2 dives, then years passed. The battery is now dead. I've read up and watched videos on how to change the battery and I'm pretty sure I can do it. It's just an o-ring with silicon grease and making sure nothing is pinched and is aligned properly.

So do you pull the battery? Or get a new battery/oring/grease every time > year (?) has passed?

The only reason that I pulled the battery because it was DEAD.
NO grease whatsoever. It is the O-ring that forms the seal.
Just make sure the groove is clean.

Cressi Giotto, Sherwood Vision - battery seems to last years, if off

Sherwood Amphos - always on, seems to last about a year and a half? Maybe two?

If you're not diving for years, I would guess no battery is better? Otherwise, replace and have it ready. I wish the Amphos could be put into "deep sleep" by the end user, which is factory state when new, before first use.

There's no harm in changing an inexpensive set of parts. (<$15 on amazon for o-ring, battery, and grease for an Aqualung i300). Some computers are more user friendly than others so if you see a video that makes sense to you, go for it. Some manufactures tout the fact that the consumer can change their own battery.

+1 for making sure there is no dust/debris basically anywhere near the battery area.

i got the same computer for a gift at xmas 2019. i hate that it does not "go to sleep". i also hate that there is no battery level indicator (not that i am aware of anyway). but i guess becasue it is a "watch" style, it never shuts off. i had planned on pulling the battery since i knew i wouldn't be traveling but never did.

NO grease whatsoever. It is the O-ring that forms the seal.
This is probably not good advice. In most cases, the o-ring needs to be slippery to seat properly; a dry o-ring can tear. This is especially important on those battery compartments than have screw-in component with an o-ring that goes round and round....sliding in the groove.
For example, the Suunto ZOOP manual says, in the section on changing the battery:
upload_2021-6-15_19-22-27.png

Notice "lubricated."

This is probably not good advice. In most cases, the o-ring needs to be slippery to seat properly; a dry o-ring can tear. This is especially important on those battery compartments than have screw-in component with an o-ring that goes round and round....sliding in the groove.
For example, the Suunto ZOOP manual says, in the section on changing the battery:
View attachment 665625
Notice "lubricated."

It depends on the computer, some manufacturers say specifically not to lube the o'rings, most of them, and some may say to lube the o'ring.

some manufacturers say specifically not to lube the o'rings
Which mfgs say this? I checked Suunto, Oceanic, Shearwater. The latter even says:

1. Lubricate O-ring with a thin film before installing
Benefits of lubricating O-ring:
 Protects the O-ring from damage by abrasion,
pinching, or cutting.
 Helps to seat the O-ring properly
 Protection as a surface film
 Protects from degradation by atmospheric elements
such as ozone
 Extends the service life​
Do not use lubricants with the same base materials
(i.e. Do not use Silicone grease with Silicone O-rings)

So do you pull the battery? Or get a new battery/oring/grease every time > year (?) has passed?
Depends on the battery. For the computers I have, no, I don’t pull them.

The Oceanics use CR2450 Lithium batteries. I change themonce a year unless needed more often. The Perdix uses a variety of batteries, but I use 3.7V rechargeable Lithium. I swap for a freshly charged one as needed. If I didn’t dive for a while, I’d also do an annual swap.

The lithium batteries aren’t likely to leak, so no danger leaving them in. The Perdix can also take AA alkalines. If I needed to use an alkaline, I would definitely pull that before putting the computer up.

Back
Top Bottom