where to buy a compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 years diving and the air hasn't changed even the compressors are the same with the exception of a few new filter designs like hyper pure etc, Seems the promotion of teck diving and teck diving attitudes have created an entire network of unnecessary junk in this market. Diving is dead, slow, sleeping what ever you want to call it and desperate measures by dive shop owners are happening all over the place. air fill wars, instructor bashing, shop burnings, and even plagiarism of manuals and procedures are adding to the sports demise, just how many ways can you really dive or set up your gear, after all, its not the method or gear that kills its the user. Discussion boards here discussion boards there are all defecating the same fudge.

Undercurrents

Things are getting a little heated here. I've already had to edit some posts for insulting remarks.

Please keep keep things civil.

Just a reminder from one of you friendly neighbourhood Mods.

pufferfish:
Yup, Jordair usually guarantees their compressors meet CSA Z180.1-00 standards at the time of sale.

Z180.1-00 does not apply to SCUBA. I quote from the CSA website: "2. For diving operations, refer to CSA Standard CAN/CSA-Z275.2."

edit:

I also checked the Regulations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act:

Purity of Breathing Mixtures

29. Each employer associated with a diving operation and the diving supervisor for a diving operation shall ensure that the purity of any breathing mixture used in the diving operation conforms to the Canadian Standards Association Standard, Z275.2-92, Occupational Safety Code for Diving Operations. O. Reg. 629/94, s. 29.

Anyone know what the requirements of CSA-Z275.2 are?

derwoodwithasherwood:
Z180.1-00 does not apply to SCUBA. I quote from the CSA website: "2. For diving operations, refer to CSA Standard CAN/CSA-Z275.2."

edit:

I also checked the Regulations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act:

Purity of Breathing Mixtures

29. Each employer associated with a diving operation and the diving supervisor for a diving operation shall ensure that the purity of any breathing mixture used in the diving operation conforms to the Canadian Standards Association Standard, Z275.2-92, Occupational Safety Code for Diving Operations. O. Reg. 629/94, s. 29.

Anyone know what the requirements of CSA-Z275.2 are?

Not quite. Z180 is an occupational health and safety standard. Anyone providing air to employees or compensated staff HAS to provide air tested to z180 standards (like Dive Msters or instructors.....)

If you sell air to mere *consumers* there are no applicable standards in Ontario. Unfortuately.

Oh, um, by the way: I have read numerous times the claim that "any LDS with employees" must comply with the air testing requirements of the OHSA. Sorry but that ain't necessarily so either. I suspect the underlying assumption employees would be instructing students for money gave rise to the claim, but it still doesn't apply:

"Application

2. (1) This Regulation applies in relation to,

(a) any diving operation; and

(b) any function in support of a diving operation. O. Reg. 629/94, s. 2 (1).

(2) Despite subsection (1), this Regulation does not apply in relation to,

(a) recreational diving, including any diving operation whose purpose is to train people for recreational diving;

(b) any diving operation in which the only underwater breathing equipment used is snorkelling equipment;

(c) a dive the sole purpose of which is to respond to an unforeseen emergency situation involving imminent danger to the life, health or safety of any person, if the dive is undertaken voluntarily; or

(d) any function in support of a diving operation described in clause (a) or (b) or any dive described in clause (c). O. Reg. 629/94, s. 2 (2); O. Reg. 155/04, s. 1. "

The fact of the matter is that this legislation really only covers commercial diving operations.

Now I am all in favour of breathing good quality air -- above or below the waterline -- but please try to stick to the facts. Some of the rhetoric in the 25 page "Air Quality Certificate" diatribe was bordering on libelous.

edit Ontario diver: you posted while I was typing. This note was not aimed at you in spite of the order of our respective posts. That said, I don't know why people keep referring to Z180.1. CSA says it doesn't apply and the Occupational Health and Safety Act clearly references CSA Z275.2 for diving air.

Z180.1 only applies to Mines and Mining plants (R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 854, as amended to O. Reg. 31/04) and Designated Substance Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Buildings and Repair Operations (R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 838, as amended to O. Reg. 104/04)

If someone is worried about complying with the Act, would they not be best served by complying with the appropriate standard?

Matt what are you arueing about,
you have the most current version and the CSA standards with regard to
implimentation of the standards with respect to the labour law and the osha
code and nfpa.

dsv1

Hi Dennis,

Just curious where you are diving in Kap and what brought you to this town. The paper mill?? GM cold weather testing?

Pretty tannic coloured water if I recall... Remi Lake, Clear Lake, ugh Kap River... the golf course!?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom