1/2 CNS % after 90 min. SI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would this perhaps be better served in the Advanced Diving forums? :popcorn:

I think this is well beyond the advanced forum and falls under the technical category, which is partly why I first asked it in the DIR forum. It's possible that the Hogarthian or NEDU forums may have someone who knows the answer, although many of the people who read the HOG forum also read the DIR one. I think I'll try NEDU next.

Guy

I think this is well beyond the advanced forum and falls under the technical category, which is partly why I first asked it in the DIR forum. It's possible that the Hogarthian or NEDU forums may have someone who knows the answer, although many of the people who read the HOG forum also read the DIR one. I think I'll try NEDU next.

Guy

Instead of reposting, how about asking a mod to move the thread?

90 min half life is prescribed by NOAA CNS exposure tables. I don't have a copy of TDI Advanced Nitrox manual at hand to give you a page number but it certainly is taught by TDI

90 min half life is prescribed by NOAA CNS exposure tables. I don't have a copy of TDI Advanced Nitrox manual at hand to give you a page number but it certainly is taught by TDI

The sole mention of a 90 minute SI I can find in the NOAA diving manual (4th ed.) is the following (pg. 3-22):

"If more than one dive is made to the maximum exposure of a PO2 of 1.6 ata, a suggested surface interval of at least 90 minutes is advised between dives (three dives of 45 minutes each would theoretically be possible within the 150-minutes daily total allowed at 1.6 ata PO2). This helps lower the accumulated oxygen dose. This only applies to the exposure at 1.6 ata, because only one maximal dive can be done in a single day with lower oxygen exposure levels.

"If, however, one or more dives in a 24-hour period have reached or exceeded the limits for a normal single exposure, the diver should spend a minimum of two hours at a normoxic PO2 (such as on the surface breathing air) before resuming diving. If diving in a 24-hour period reaches the Maximum 24-hour Limit, the diver must spend a minimum of 12 hours at normoxic PO2 before diving again."

The bolded statement is so generic that it's meaningless; unless there's some mechanism that prevents your CNS O2/OTU loading from decreasing immediately, an SI of _any_ length will "help lower the accumulated oxygen dose." There is no mention of a 50% rule that I can find, and the 'rule' mentioned above relates only to cases of repetitive dives at 1.6 ata, without describing the justification for it.

Guy

Last edited:
Gotta love passive voice:

Teaching Oxygen Tracking Article 95-2

1. CNS%/minute
Again based on the NOAA single exposure times, the CNS% load for every minute of exposure at that PPO2 is extrapolated and found in tabular form in the Advanced Manual.
aEx. If a diver spends 45 minutes at a PO2 of 1.6 bar (ref. NOAA single exposure limit), then they can be said to have used 100% of their Oxygen Clock. Hence 1 minute of the total allowed exposure as a % would be:
1/45 x 100 - 2.22% for every minute at a 1.6 bar PPO2
The table in the manual shows a %/minute for most PPO2s. This %/minute is multiplied by the Decompression Bottom Time to give the % CNS for the dive (assuming no decompression gas with a high FO2 (above 40%) is used at the decompression stops). Any decompression stops conducted on an elevated FO2 compared to bottom mix must have their CNS and pulmonary load calculated for separately and added to the bottom time oxygen exposure of the dive. As a rule, an 80% CNS exposure is the maximum planned for. If a diver reaches an exposure of 80% on a single dive then they must take a two hour interval at the surface, breathing normoxic air.
Multiple dives may be conducted providing that the final CNS exposure in a 24 hour period does not exceed 80%. If the 80% figure is reached, then a 12 hour surface break breathing normoxic air must be taken. Where repeat dives are conducted with a surface interval, a 50% surface reduction in the CNS load (breathing normoxic air) is assumed for every 90 minutes at the surface. Ex. Dive 1 generates a load of 40%. After 90 minutes this falls to 20%. After a further 90 minutes this falls to 10% etc. This Residual CNS load is added to the next dives CNS load to give the two dive total at the end of the second dive.

Agreed - everyone assumes it, but no authoritative source quoated.

Guy, I still think this would be best served in advanced discussions. You would reach a wider audience of experienced divers than you would in these narrower forums. For example;

CNS% Calculations [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Attachments

• Oxygen_Toxicity_Calculations.pdf
    252.8 KB · Views: 71
[head slap] Doh! Too late now.

Guy

Nope - they can merge all your threads, actually. :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread was merged and then moved to Advanced per the OP request. Carry on.

Carolyn:shark2:
SB Moderator

Back
Top Bottom