10.21.09 Petition filed in US to protect coral species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean Rehab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
10.21.09 Petition filed in US to protect coral species
story here
The petition from the Center for Biological Diversity marked the first time the U.S. government acknowledged global warming as a primary threat to the survival of a species.

Under the Endangered Species Act, activities such as fishing, dumping, dredging and offshore oil development would be subject to stricter regulatory scrutiny.

U.S. federal agencies are also required to ensure that their actions do not harm the coral species, which could result in agencies approving projects with significant greenhouse gas emissions to consider and minimize such impacts on vulnerable coral species.

Under the Endangered Species Act, activities such as fishing, dumping, dredging and offshore oil development would be subject to stricter regulatory scrutiny.
As would also Scuba Diving?

My prediction for the future:

In order to anchor, you will have to prove there is no coral under the boat before you anchor, in Dade/Broward/Monroe County.

The original press release is here:
Protection Sought for 83 Coral Species as Coral Heads for Worldwide Extinction Exit Stage Right

83 Coral Species to become classified as Endangered Species?? that's quite a lofty goal for a petition.

Diving affected? maybe. But I believe that the primary goal of the petition is to protect the Corals from man made pollution and inland water impairment being dumped into the oceans.

Anchoring in Monroe/Dade/Broward near reefs? they have a Mooring Bouy program in progress for the future for divers.
However large Shipping Tankers are no longer allowed to anchor on the reefs, as was done for years. The waiting stations for tankers was between the 2 ledges? silly huh??

So I should stop with my macerator and small picking off the reefs around here :(

The original press release is here:
Protection Sought for 83 Coral Species as Coral Heads for Worldwide Extinction Exit Stage Right

83 Coral Species to become classified as Endangered Species?? that's quite a lofty goal for a petition.

Anchoring in Monroe/Dade/Broward near reefs? they have a Mooring Bouy program in progress for the future for divers.
QUOTE]

The mooring buoys are great in the limited areas they serve. What will the happen after all this is implemented and someone wants to anchor and dive where there is no mooring buoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom