10 Bar for E-PL2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not E-PL2, I use E-PL1. Yes, it has single mount skiddy base.
Can't say cheap for the quality you get.
Do you have problems with the housing twisting? Are you saying that it's a high quality housing or not?
Is the semi dome port that comes with it a nice match with the 14-42 lens?

I don't know if the Nauticam housing for the E-PL2 is out of your price range but I just got the housing for testing two days ago and hope to have somthing out in a month or so. I have the 4.33 inch dome, six inch dome for thePany 7-14 zoom the macro port with 67mm threads for external closeup lenses for the Pany 45 macro. I will also be testing the very small Olympus 12mm behind the 4.33inch dome. I also have the Nautican tray with two handles for support of my twin strobe lighting system. The very first thing that I can tell you about the system is that all of the above items including the camera and lenses fit into an 11 X 11 X 11 inch packing box with room to spare. That is less than half the inside dimensions of my carry-on roller bag. This housing improves on many of the features I reported on last year in my article on the Nauticam NEX-5 housing ( http://ejlabs.net/tmp/UwP57.pdf ). With upgrades to the port and housing latching systems plus much more.

Phil Rudin

Do you have problems with the housing twisting? Are you saying that it's a high quality housing or not?
Is the semi dome port that comes with it a nice match with the 14-42 lens?

I insert rubber sheet to minimize twisting.
I can't say good quality if we put the housing side by side with Nauticam or recsea - but they supply with spare o-rings for buttons. I hope they use much better materials for non-metalic parts.
I use semi dome port for 35mm macro (with adapter, very slow lens), 14 - 42 mm, and mostly 7-14mm panny, though only effective onr 9 mm above. Very soft edge at 7-8mm.

oh my 10 bar...even with double o's, they chip paint, everyone I know who has one has that problem :( rather get the oem housing? ...

I've sold probably 2 dozen E-PL1 & E-PL2 housings over the last couple of years. We have replaced 1 for chipped paint, free, under their _2 year_ warranty. I also haven't seen that problem on their other housings.

Yeah, the Nauticam is great, I sell them too, but at well over twice the price, many users find that 10Bar works quite well. It come with both electrical and optical sync, all controls and a good selection of ports.

Jack

My .02 for what its worth....

The Olympus housing for the PL-2 can't be beat for the price and very well made. Ignore the 40m depth limit (assuming your training allows).. that's lawyer crap... I've had mine to 160' many times with nary a leak and the buttons, albeit stiff, still work well. IMHO, no better bargain exists in underwater photography today. For just under $3k you can have a PL-2, lens, housing, dome, and twin strobes. That's LESS than the price of a dSLR housing ALONE (no camera, ports, or lenses).... Zen makes a flat port for the 45mm macro and domes for the
7-14 and 9-18, both which are also compatible with the 14-42 kit lens. All Zen products are also very reasonably priced and optical glass -- don't want to argue about whether that's better than plastic... just saying....

IMHO, the only thing those other housings have over Olympus is the electrical connections for the strobe.....if that's important to you. Optically-fired DS-TTL and manual work just fine for me, however. Battery usage of the internal strobe is greatly exaggerated in some circles. I run mine at half power which is more than enough to fire the externals and get over 400 frames off a charge. The Oly housing is made from plastic, while those others are metal..... IDK how important that is since camera housings are not generally subjected to abuse that would break even plastic.......

To address the OP's question, the Oly housing has three 1/4-20 bolt holes on the base to accomodate both center-mount and dual-bolt bases. Get a dual-bolt base... all sigle-screws will spin regardless how tight or what you put in between. I got Sea and Sea arms (NOT recommended, but functional and CHEAP...) which only come with a single screw.... had to drill 2 holes in the base to accomodate SS screws I got from Home Depot. No amount of tightness and rubber would otherwise cure the spin when wet.

For my money, I'm on the Olympus housings....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom