10-Bar housing for E-PL1 Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering if anyone out there that has used or has any experience with the 10-Bar housing for the Oly E-PL1 could post a short review here.

In particular, I'm interested in the dome lens. I read it's plastic. Does that mean it's of low quality? Soft corners? Easily scratched?

How about the macro lens adapter with the dome? Work well with good results?

Also, I curious about how easily the focus and zoom knobs work as well as any other feedback on any elements of the housing. I'm not sure if I want this or the Oly housing with Zen port. I like the idea of a smaller housing made of durable aluminum.

Cheers...Jon

I use 10bar housing with semidome port to cater lens kit 14-42mm, 7-14mm and 35mm macro w/adapter. It's plastic so, easy to scratch but no problem in the water. The macro work well but had not much chance to play with macro on my last trip.
Check my tread in this sub forum for few results.

Thanks Wisnu...actually I've read your post and it was informative. For some reason, it's the only semi review that I can find anywhere.

What do you mean when you say it scratches easily but no problem underwater? How about the ease of button and knob use?

If you could do it again, would you but this again or go with the oly housing and zen port?

Interesting

I have no capability to properly review the product. But let me share my experience or let me know if you have specific questions.
I tried to use 35mm macro underwater - this lens require very short distance and I accidentally touch the coral - the scratch is visible on the dome but no affect to the picture since water will fill the gap.
I have no issue using the button, but I think not easy if I use glove. They supply with parts (small o-ring) so I assume the maintenance of the buttons are not difficult. The material and manufacturing quality seem require improvement although for this housing all parts are functionals. They should use better quality materials. The accessories - like sync. cord is made from poor quality material.
The zoom gear (I only have the zoom gear for lens kit) is awkward - not very easy to use.

Do I purchase 10bar again? No if I can find similar or better product at same or slightly expensive price. If I have to, I will not purchase directly from 10 bar like I did for this housing, where I bought from Jack Optical Ocean who will quickly response you though not always accurate.
I avoid purchase directly from 10bar, when you have problem - they will not response.
I bought another product from 10 bar, ie. housing for flash Metz 58AF-1 - from 3 buttons on the housing, only on-off button is working. The others are useless. When I complain, no repsonse.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that info. It will certainly influence my decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom