10 year olds and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"All the data that is available points to effects you may not see for years." What data is this? You are implying that parents only force their children to dive at 10 in order to make themselves happy. You presume too much, sir. You accuse all involved of nothing more than blind exploitation of children.... the Professional certifying organization, the business owner, the instructor, and the parent. Are there risks involved....certainly. Of course, that's why we all sign waivers at every turn. I said that I respected your opinion, and I still do. You could allow me the possibility that I know my child, I have my child's best interests at heart, and that I may have some small measure of knowledge here. My education is in Medical Physics .... what's yours?

"The single most important thing any parent can do when their kid wants to do/have something, is exhibit the skepticism to contemplate the "why nots" of the matter."

So I guess we should never allow our kids to drive *LOL*

Nobody really knows what the partial pressure of nitrogen impact is on adults, let alone kids. But we accept the fact that there is no impact when we follow the rules because adults have been diving for so long. The physiological impacts of diving on people (all people) are practically all theory....nothing seems to be absolute...at least that is what my Dive Master studies tell me.

I am more concerned about the impact to my kids of hydrocarbons and the chemicals and pesiticides on our food than I am about partial pressures on my son's bone growth. Let's just lock up all our kids and not let them experience anything for fear of harm to them.

my son is 8 and is a very mature 8. he has expressed an intrest in scuba diving for some time now, and in the early stages i put some fins on him with snorkel and mask. this was not enough for him. my son is around the diving scene all the time, if he is not around our shop he is around friends and family who do nothing but talk shop and scuba, so obviously he wants to try it. so for the first time this year we put my son in the water with a full set of gear in about 10 feet of water and he loved it. I too was worried about him comphrending certain things, but he already has an understanding of narcosis and how different gases effect the body, I know young students as well as adult divers who havent grasped it yet. I believe every child is different and at different stages of maturity and therefore must ascess each child individualy. Of course my son wont be certified until he is of age, but because of his eager intrest i will continue to teach and train my son in a safe enviroment, my son has not gone down any further than 10ft with me in confined waters and nor will i take him any further until he in certified but most importantly until he feels secure and confident with himself to do so.

I am more concerned about the impact to my kids of hydrocarbons and the chemicals and pesiticides on our food than I am about partial pressures on my son's bone growth.

If you came to me for instruction for your kid with this attitude, I would not accept the kid as a student, regardless of his comfort or capability.

"If you came to me for instruction for your kid with this attitude, I would not accept the kid as a student, regardless of his comfort or capability."

No attitude here...I think there are greater dangers in this world than a kid being 10 feet under water. I can show you tons of evidence that these dangers exist....and would be very accepting to evidence that there is danger to kids diving at 10 feet of water, but I have not seen any yet. I am certainly not above being proven wrong and I completely respect your opinion, whether it be professional or personal.

My 8 year old is a PADI Seal Teamer. She is now going for her Master Seal Team cert. My 6 year old will swim in the pool with me while ive got an arm around him and he is breathing with my octopus. No way would i allow my 8 to be my "buddy". When she is 10, i would certainly take her down with me and my wife. On a recent trip to Bonaire, we saw several parents allowing their kids (younger than 10) dive with them to depths greater than 60 feet. Not mine, not yet.

No attitude here...I think there are greater dangers in this world than a kid being 10 feet under water. I can show you tons of evidence that these dangers exist....and would be very accepting to evidence that there is danger to kids diving at 10 feet of water, but I have not seen any yet. I am certainly not above being proven wrong and I completely respect your opinion, whether it be professional or personal.

I don't know of any empirical evidence which I could cite along the lines of "If a child spends x minutes at x feet, they will sustain x injury." Likewise, I can't say an adult diving for x minutes at x feet will develop DCS. There is a danger in each case, but that danger needs to be acknowledged and steps should be taken to avoid issues.

There's a lot we don't know about the effects of pressure on growing bodies. There's also a lot we don't know about the effects of pressure on fetal units. In terms of liability, I'm heavily invested in the safety of each and while there are greater potential hazards out there, it does not diminish the risks associated with SCUBA. Should I disregard the potential and unknown risks to a fetus because second hand smoke, alcohol, drugs, trauma and other prenatal risks exist?

If we are talking about 10' depths, I'd agree there is little cause for concern, but I've never certified a kid who was planning on only diving to 10'. When I do take on a kid, I look at the person that kid will be diving with. If they have the attitude that it's no big deal, I educate them. If they still don't appreciate the risks they are subjecting their kid to, I won't certify the kid.

It takes a fairly mature kid to be a competent diver, but they are not what I would consider to be a solid buddy. The parental unit needs to look at their child in much the same way I look at a student.

Last edited:
24940 I totally agree with you, I would in no way shape or form expect my son to be physically able to help in need of an emergency. But with continuous training and experience I know one day he will be more than capable and will be an asset to the diving community

not very fun diving at 10. you can't go deep and 10 year olds do struggle with the theory. i qualified at 10 but couldnt handle the gear properly until i was 13

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom