10 years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The short answer is yes.

It depends on the maturity level of the child. I'd be very hesitant to take most 10 year old kids I've met diving.

The age was 12 until very recently I believe. Honestly, I'm just not sure any 10 year old is really mature enough to handle the responsibility of something going wrong at depth. Heck, many adults don't handle issues at depth well! :shocked2:

Your child, so your call.
He is a very good listner he is a mature kid and folloas direction very good All 3 of my kids are very comfortable in the water Me and the wife are hoping this will be a familey thing for all of us to do

I hope its old enough. My 8 year old has been asking to learn for atleast 2 years. When I told him he had to wait till he was atleast 10 he even tried to negotiate a younger age. I can't wait to go diving with him, but I still worry about how he will react to being underwater. So I agree with everyone else who says it depends. Have fun.

Oyster...have you thought about bubblemakers? They start at 8 years old to 'try out' the scuba thing!

I'm going to depart just a touch from the other answers...

Is he old enough to enter a class? Yes... Is he old enough to dive? That's up to him... kids have a way of telling you whether they really want to be there or not... I've assisted with kids who were like little minnows... and I've seen others who had nifty ways of telling you they weren't happy. One little girl in particular did the pool sessions with no issues... but developed "ear issues" in open water... even 1 foot from the surface... ;-) She NEVER said "no" I don't want to be here... but also made no efforts to get back into the water... or to pursue it in any other way...

Her parents were brilliant with this and didn't pressure her. I figure we'll see her back in a year or two... but she'll tell us when she's "old enough"...

Here is a reading list I posted in an earlier thread.

The one from that list I highly suggest for anyone evaluating this is:
Richardson D. Children and diving: the recreational-diving training perspective. SPUMS J 2003; 33(2): 83-89. (NOTE: Article followed by book review of "Children and scuba diving: a resource guide for instructors and parents." Reviewed by Taylor, L) RRR ID: 7780

Richardson:
... This position statement overviews and identifies the issues involved in teaching children to scuba dive, including the risks in doing so from PADI's perspective and what to do to responsibly address these risks.

Rubicon is participating in the Great Human Race 5k Run/ Walk in Durham, NC, USA on March 21st. Please consider sponsoring our team. More info available here.

YouTube - john and me

I've got a 10-yr old that dives. He's done a number of dives including shallow night dives, spearfishing and drift dives in deeper water.

I taught him and he's not yet certified. I taught both my boys to dive, but I made then learn to freedive pretty well before using scuba gear in open water. When a small child can freedive comfortably and equalize on dives to 20 feet or so with no scuba gear, it is not hard to teach them to scuba dive.

Personally I think 10 is way too young for typical kids to learn to scuba dive, particularly in cold water were the thermal stress, extra suit and lead, large bouyancy changes and thick gloves make it much more challenging to be safe..

I make my kids wear pony bottles on pretty much all dives.

I have 2 daughters, 9 years and 13 years old. Both are competitive swimmer, so they are very comfortable in water. The older, was certified Jr. OW when she was 11 years old - no problem at all. I have to say she is better than me. She's also avid photographer, here's her blog <<Mayang>> - Beginning to a fun Adventure

Her sister not certified yet - she has logged approx. 50 ocean bubble makers can't wait her 10 on September this year for Jr. OW. The best thing living in this region; I can get best dedicated instructor for her ocean bubble maker.
I believe she will be ready - and she has been reading the Padi OW books since we returned from Lembeh trip where she enjoyed muck diving. Her report is here melati luv diving
In lembeh she did ocean bubble maker 3 x a day; without any problem at all.

Here is a reading list I posted in an earlier thread.

The one from that list I highly suggest for anyone evaluating this is:
Richardson D. Children and diving: the recreational-diving training perspective. SPUMS J 2003; 33(2): 83-89. (NOTE: Article followed by book review of "Children and scuba diving: a resource guide for instructors and parents." Reviewed by Taylor, L) RRR ID: 7780
Thank you (as always)!

This article goes into some depth (no pun intended) in the PADI responses, WRT depth and time limits for Jr. OW divers. I believe this is the first time I've ever seen anything reference time limits for young divers (PADI limits or otherwise). From page 86:

Given the depth restrictions and the short bottom times imposed on 10- and 11-year-olds...

Am I just reading something into that that isn't there?

My son turns 10 in May 28 is that oldenough to start diving and take the class:confused:

I hear that's what they're starting them @ now......out of our three, the oldest got cert. in '85 with me & my wife(14 y.o.)..the next 2 got cert. @ 12 y/o. in '90 & '93 I believe...that was the youngest age back then.......

YouTube - john and me

I've got a 10-yr old that dives. He's done a number of dives including shallow night dives, spearfishing and drift dives in deeper water.

I taught him and he's not yet certified. I taught both my boys to dive, but I made then learn to freedive pretty well before using scuba gear in open water. When a small child can freedive comfortably and equalize on dives to 20 feet or so with no scuba gear, it is not hard to teach them to scuba dive.

Personally I think 10 is way too young for typical kids to learn to scuba dive, particularly in cold water were the thermal stress, extra suit and lead, large bouyancy changes and thick gloves make it much more challenging to be safe..

I make my kids wear pony bottles on pretty much all dives.
When you say you taught him, but he isn't certified... That's probably a little easier to accomplish when you are an instructor. :wink:

My son will be 11 soon, and honestly the one thing that has been holding me back with him starting OW training is simply that I haven't found the instructor for him locally. I'm told my standards and expectations are to high. OTOH, he is my son. :D

I do like your thought processes, though, in terms of expectations of water skills, etc. which tracks pretty closely to what I have been trying to do with my son. We just don't have access to water that is warm enough and deep enough to do what I'd call proper freediving practice (the best we have in the winter is a 13' pool).

OBTW, I LOVED the video clip where your son is doing the maskless buddy breathing drill. WOW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom