100 or 120cf tanks in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both major tank suppliers on the island provide 100cf tanks, they are aluminum - there are six of them on my boat right now. there will be two on the boat for the next three days.......

The issue might be in asking for "steel" 100cf tanks, very few places have steel tanks...... What's the point of a HP steel tank when no one wants to fill them to 3500 psi, that is why Aldora has their own compressors....

At first I was going with HP100 and 120's - but when the fill station owner looks at you funny and says they really don't want to fill them and it might be problems - swimming upriver isn't the direction to go......

Tank specs:

Aluminum 80 is 77.4cuft at 3000psi
Aluminum 100 is 98.8 at 3300psi or 90cuft at 3000psi - full it is 27% more but at 3000 psi it is 16% more
Steel HP 100 is 100 at 3442psi or 87cuft at 3000psi - full it is 29% more but at 3000psi it is 12% more

I mostly see guys dive 100's so that they get closer to their wives dive times.......

Curious as to what your average depths and dive times were - what was starting psi and finishing?

My son and I did a dive trip with Aldora Divers and dived with steel 120s, they were all filled close to the working pressure. We both have good RMVs and generally dive with AL80s. For our dives that week, I would have needed at least a steel100 or AL100 filled to 3000 psi in order to make 60% of the dives. Our dives averaged 75 min (53-94) at an average depth of 52 ft (42-61).

My son and I did a dive trip with Aldora Divers and dived with steel 120s, they were all filled close to the working pressure. We both have good RMVs and generally dive with AL80s. For our dives that week, I would have needed at least a steel100 or AL100 filled to 3000 psi in order to make 60% of the dives. Our dives averaged 75 min (53-94) at an average depth of 52 ft (42-61).

Aldora fills are very good and extremely consistent - I've had many of their tanks on my back - they all seemed to be at 3450.

Aico, the fill station we use is also very good - aluminum tanks are always 3000 - 3100 it seems - yes you do get an off one every now and then and we just make the DM use it jajajajaja. The low ones almost always come back as a leaking valve - they track tanks by numbers and we report bad tanks

Meridiano on the other hand.......................

Been enjoying the newer steel HP117 tanks that Aldora added to their lineup. Seems these are mostly the standard-issue tank now. Shorter but slightly bigger in diameter, and feel lighter too. Seem to be pretty similar performance to me, just in a more manageable compact package.

Been enjoying the newer steel HP117 tanks that Aldora added to their lineup. Seems these are mostly the standard-issue tank now. Shorter but slightly bigger in diameter, and feel lighter too. Seem to be pretty similar performance to me, just in a more manageable compact package.
When I as there last year, a diver on our boat was having trouble with the length of the 120s, and he was very happy to switch to the 117's.

Aldora, Living Underwater (he has switched tanks so I'm not 100% sure on them) and one other company use steel tanks here and have the 120's....
Living Underwater has Low Pressure steel 95CF tanks, at least they did 3 days ago. :)

Nice external size compared to an HP120, but not significantly more gas than an AL80, in my experience.

Liquid Blue has HP100 and HP120 tanks.

Living Underwater has Low Pressure steel 95CF tanks, at least they did 3 days ago. :)

Nice external size compared to an HP120, but not significantly more gas than an AL80, in my experience.

Liquid Blue has HP100 and HP120 tanks.
Yep, just dove with them on Tuesday. Steve runs a nice op.

Salty Endeavors owns a dozen AL100's in both air and 32%.

Back
Top Bottom