Good results on CO levels in Cozumel scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a CO monitor a couple years back after reading some horror stories about CO poisoning in tanks from liveaboards, and seeing many posts from DandyDon who has done a great job with education about the subject here. I've been testing my tanks ever since.

I thought I'd share that my testing of tanks from my recent Cozumel trip returned fantastic results. My op gets their tanks from the main fill station, and I know some ops still fill their own, so your results may vary. But my data shows the main fill station is doing a wonderful job with their filters. Every tank I tested had, at most, a 1ppm variance from ambient levels, which were 1-2ppm. I never saw a tank go higher than 3ppm for the whole trip. Great results and better than the last time I was there 2 years ago when I saw variances of up to 3ppm above ambient from the fill station and 5ppm above ambient with an op that had their own fill station. (those levels were still safe). On this trip the Cozumel tanks were even cleaner than the tanks I was testing in Hawai'i a few months ago.

I'll still test every tank, but I'm happy to see them doing a great job at the main fill station. It's always fun to get questions from other divers when they see what I'm doing, and I inevitably get a few divers each trip saying "Ummm... can you test mine too?" after they ask what I'm doing. :wink:

... can you test mine too?
You're a lifesaver,,,,cause CO Flash can can vary minute by minute in tank fills.
Test Every Tank.

I bought a CO monitor a couple years back after reading some horror stories about CO poisoning in tanks from liveaboards, and seeing many posts from DandyDon who has done a great job with education about the subject here. I've been testing my tanks ever since.

I thought I'd share that my testing of tanks from my recent Cozumel trip returned fantastic results. My op gets their tanks from the main fill station, and I know some ops still fill their own, so your results may vary. But my data shows the main fill station is doing a wonderful job with their filters. Every tank I tested had, at most, a 1ppm variance from ambient levels, which were 1-2ppm. I never saw a tank go higher than 3ppm for the whole trip. Great results and better than the last time I was there 2 years ago when I saw variances of up to 3ppm above ambient from the fill station and 5ppm above ambient with an op that had their own fill station. (those levels were still safe). On this trip the Cozumel tanks were even cleaner than the tanks I was testing in Hawai'i a few months ago.

I'll still test every tank, but I'm happy to see them doing a great job at the main fill station. It's always fun to get questions from other divers when they see what I'm doing, and I inevitably get a few divers each trip saying "Ummm... can you test mine too?" after they ask what I'm doing. :wink:
How often do you calibrate with calibration gas? What tester do to use? What is the lifespan of the sensor?

I have been looking at these and trying to find one that has a longervthan 2 year sensor replacement cycle plus yearly calibration requirements. The sensors are really expensive though the calibration gas is about $125.

How often do you calibrate with calibration gas? What tester do to use? What is the lifespan of the sensor?

I purchased the Oxycheq Expedition CO analyzer. The sensor lasts 3.5-4 years, and only requires calibration when the sensor is replaced. Mine is a little over 2 years old. They estimate about $200 to replace the sensor and recalibrate at the 4 year mark.

I also have the Oxycheq Expedition CO analyzer, plus their Expedition O2 analyzer for nitrox and have been using them for the past 2 years. I got their LP adapter, which lets me attach the LP hose from my reg. I've been very happy with them.

They both fit nicely in a waterproof airtight case from Harbor Freight (Apache 550), and I put a few silica packs to absorb moisture in it to prolong sensor life.

550 Weatherproof Clear Case

I also have the Oxycheq Expedition CO analyzer, plus their Expedition O2 analyzer for nitrox and have been using them for the past 2 years. I got their LP adapter, which lets me attach the LP hose from my reg. I've been very happy with them.
Seconding the LP adapter / flow restrictor. Makes it SO easy to test on the boat. It's less than a 30 second job including disconnect/reconnect.

My op gets their tanks from the main fill station
Which one? There used to be a single primary fill station now there is two. It used to be if a shop did not have their own in house fill station they had to get tanks from Meridiano. Meridiano reacted like most monopolies and took on a 'take it or leave it' attitude towards customers. About 5 years back a second commercial fill operator opened, AICO (across from Casa Mission). Many shops being tired of underfills and general poor service have switched to AICO

Which one? There used to be a single primary fill station now there is two. It used to be if a shop did not have their own in house fill station they had to get tanks from Meridiano. Meridiano reacted like most monopolies and took on a 'take it or leave it' attitude towards customers. About 5 years back a second commercial fill operator opened, AICO (across from Casa Mission). Many shops being tired of underfills and general poor service have switched to AICO
There is 3 fill stations that supply a majority of the air/tanks. Aico, Meridiano and Linmar. Aldora has its own fill station as well as a few others.

There is 3 fill stations that supply a majority of the air/tanks. Aico, Meridiano and Linmar. Aldora has its own fill station as well as a few others.
True, Linmar is pretty small though. I am hauling parts down for them this weekend. Do you know if BA still runs their own in the jungle off 65?

Back
Top Bottom