100th Dive celebration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping that my 100th will be at Devil's Throat in Cozumel. Its either that or Franch Cay, Provodenciales. It all depends on how many five I do in between the trips.

I am not quite to 100 yet because my pregnancy hiatus has gotten in the way but I thought I would share my husband's 100th dive story because it was during Wreckmania and we were all excited about making it special for him. I brought my camera on the boat so I could get pictures of this historical event.

Jeff and his buddy Herman were the first one's off the boat and down to the wreck they were diving. By all accounts it was a nice dive and they reached their agreed upon air consumption and headed back to the line to start their accent back to the boat when Jeff was literally tackled under water by another diver from the boat who was not with our group giving the out of air sign. Jeff and Herman both being level headed divers responded by Jeff giving his primary and going to his backup while they both tried to calm down this panicked diver. Both Jeff and Herman had enough air left to get themselves and this panicked diver back to the boat. They did a depth check and decided to begin their accent. The panicked diver refused to stop for their planned safety stops and it was all that Jeff and Herman could do to keep him from accending so fast that he suffered lung overexpansion injury.

As soon as they surfaced they alerted those of us on the boat that we had a potential emergency diver coming aboard and the captain and divemaster both worked to calm down this guy. Jeff and Herman both boarded the boat checking their computers to see what kind of profile they had ended up in after their hurried accent. Both decided that based on their profiles that the only cautious thing to do was to sit out the next dive. They shared their feelings with the panicked diver who surfaced with them who was diving without a computer. He didn't listen and went right back in the water after less than a 30 minute surface interval at the next dive site.

So I guess my point in telling the story is that your 100th dive like any can be memorable for reasons you are not even expecting! I know none of us will ever forget Jeff's!

:bunny: Heather :bunny:

I don't know what I'm gonna do for this Dive #100, and it's already #93 ;-0

Iwanted to be diving at midnight the 31st of December... To have a happy new year 2003 !!

But no one's diving at 00:00 unfortunately...

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Amanda once bubbled...
Iwanted to be diving at midnight the 31st of December... To have a happy new year 2003 !!
Hey, that was what we did once on a Similans liveaboard. We jumped into the water off Koh Bon on 31 Dec 11:30pm with the intention of surfacing at midnight... unfortunately we didn't quite time it right so we got up at about 12:03. But no loss, it was nice coming up to a couple of boats setting off firecrackers and tooting their horns. I think everybody should be underwater on New Year's Eve. My advice for you is get yourself booked on a LOB over that period, the dive fanatics on board will surely be amenable to the idea.

Just checked my logbook, that was dive #107. #100 was spent off Koh Bon ridge in a fruitless search for mantas. Mm, a century commemorated with Mantas, how cool would that have been?

I had my 100th dive planned to be one in the same as my deep dive certification, but as things all go I was still one short that day. But, the following week I did my 100th dive and it was memorable, but not spectacular.

My 100th dive was done at Lake Thurmond, SC. Max depth 104ft. Visability 15ft. Water Temperature 65degrees with thermocline at 45ft temperature 55 degrees. Total bottom time 58 minutes. We did not stay at that 104 ft for more than 2 minutes. Most of our bottom time was spent at 30 to 40 feet. It was the first time I dove beyond the ledges and did the swim through the trench. Not much in the way of fish or other animals to see. But the ledge and wall formation is really cool to see. We moved on over to the cessna plane that is located in about 25ft of water. This was the dive that I successfully was able to enter through the front window and enter the cabin unassisted, swim through and exit the door. That was really cool and my buddies were waiting outside the door, giving my a round of applause. After doing a repeat performance we moved on to continue our slow ascent by cruising along the grass line looking for fish. We saw a medium size Bass and lots of brim. On surfacing we all agreed that had been a really great dive.

As things would have it that also, was the last dive I have made. That was 3 weeks ago. I am really itching to go back, and just might tommorrow.

My 100th dive was Penwyn Reef, at the Manacles, just off the southern Cornwall coast. Haggis, the skipper, described it as, "A reef; a lump of rock, sunk sometime during the Jurassic Period (for any frustrated Wrekkies present)."

There were pinnacles dropping eastward to 60m +, walls and massive rocks completely covered with life: jewelled anemonies, hydroids, starfish etc. Huge pollack, a shoal of horse jacks feeding, two sleeping dog fish - even a cod (very rare in Bitish coastal waters these days). Sea slugs and sea cucumbers were everywhere as were lilca coloured urchins.

Water temp was 10C max depth was 19.5m. Stayed down for 45 minutes and surfaced with 60 bar left.

It was the best dive I've had in the UK.

Didin't dive next day. Hangover was terrible!

Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom