1030sw with strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In another thread, I posted that I had played with my 1030sw and a slaved strobe (Ikelite DS125). Because there is no manual mode on the 1030, the images tend to be blown out by the strobe; this issue can be addressed by using the exposure compensation in the camera. In any case, here are some examples (others are in my gallery). I also played a little with an Inon-165 macro lens adapter.

These are straight from the camera and resized, no other editing.

P8213033_Small_.JPG

P8213021_Small_.JPG

P8213020_Small_.JPG

P8212975_Small_.JPG

P8212966_Small_.JPG

Which "mode" were you in?

Being in the "handshake" mode in macro will net a fast shutter speed and F5.0. With flash on "fill-in" iso goes to 250. Would this be a useable setup?

I own a 1030sw with housing and im fooling around with all the different auto setups to see if I can produce some "pre-sets" that would work for different scenarios.

Program mode (camera icon)

Interesting thought, using "handshake" mode. ISO 250 is a bit grainy; f/5 is OK, but no advantage there; but a faster shutter speed might be useful. I need to look at the EXIF and see what shutter speeds the camera was choosing in P mode.

I'm off to Cozumel next month and will play with the "happy snappy" when I'm bored with the E-330.

I think playing with exposure compensation may yield some better results, expecially in open water; we'll see.

Last edited:
Actually I just reviewed some pictures that I took last week while free diving and on P mode the whole time, I got 1/400+ at around f/4.1 - 4.5 iso 80. These results were about 20-25 feet of water shooting the top of reef upwards, no flash.

Supermacro at that depth was around 1/60 - 1/100 (of course with no flash on s-macro).

Anyways, since I hold my breath for all pictures, I don't normally see myself going deeper than 30ft unless I go scubadiving (which is less frequent than snorkeling). Any kind of setup that I find works in these conditions I can post and help out. I don't have a strobe yet but will get one soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom