10Watt HID compared to Scout light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No I'm not deciding between the two - so don't worry... I put this here because it's probably someone in the DIR forum that's most likely to have/know what I'm looking for....

Does anyone have a comparison shot of a 10watt HID lamp and a Scout on in the water side by side? I'm looking for a shot similar to the one below.

Or a picture of a Scout and and a mag-lite side by side on land would work just as well...

I'm doing some comparison of the new LED technology (Luxeon star LED's) to halogen, but don't have a Scout, so this would make a great reference point to go from.

Thanks to anyone who can provide the picture for me...

also - any reason you can see why this would not be a good DIR backup light? (obviously lose the strap and put a ss clip on)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I've already put up comparison shots between a mag-lite and a 10watt HID (both on focused beam) with this LED lamp on my informal scuba page at: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

kidspot:
I'm doing some comparison of the new LED technology (Luxeon star LED's) to halogen, but don't have a Scout, so this would make a great reference point to go from.

Not directly related, but FWIW - a 10-degree beam isn't all that tight. The light may be bright, but I would have to wonder if it's focused enough to be effective for signaling.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the link - yeah it's kind of hard to compare - the Luxeon star LED is about the equivalent of 20 bright white LED's used in most flashlights. But it does give me an idea. The scout looks to be not quite as bright as a 3cell mag-lite. I have used both mag-lites and my LED dive light when I work night security - I prefer the mag-lite for seeing the other end of the property, but the LED is much better for things like vehicle checks and other work within 20ft of you.

Hey Bob, I appreciate the comment, I'm so new at all this that I still have never used my lights for signalling yet. I am curious from the standpoint of someone who has - the bezel on the light has a rubber cover that blocks the "Scatter light" from blinding you - but it's easily removed making the tip of the flashlight more like a chemical light stick effect (light in all directions) Would this be a better way to signal with a light IF it does not have a tightly focused beam? (As you noted 10 degrees isn't a real tight beam) Or is this something I need to get experience with before discussing in order to really appreciate it?
Thanks, Tim

kidspot:
I am curious from the standpoint of someone who has - the bezel on the light has a rubber cover that blocks the "Scatter light" from blinding you - but it's easily removed making the tip of the flashlight more like a chemical light stick effect (light in all directions) Would this be a better way to signal with a light IF it does not have a tightly focused beam? (As you noted 10 degrees isn't a real tight beam) Or is this something I need to get experience with before discussing in order to really appreciate it?
You signal with the beam (not someone looking at the light). Taking off the cover would not assist, and likely work against you.

10° isn't great (adjustible or 6° would be better). There are some new LEDs on the market that are tightening up their beam close to 6°.

PatH:
You signal with the beam (not someone looking at the light). Taking off the cover would not assist, and likely work against you.

10° isn't great (adjustible or 6° would be better). There are some new LEDs on the market that are tightening up their beam close to 6°.

Thanks PatH,

It will be interesting to see where LED technology goes in the next couple of years. It seems to be making huge strides the last 5 years or so. Of course I won't be getting a new one anytime soon, as I already own this one - I got it originally as my primary light for night dives - have been quite happy with it, now it's my backup...

Tim

P.S. Maybe I'll have to take some comparison shots in the water on my next night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom