1100 lb Tiger Shark caught in contest near Martha's Vineyard - Combined Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
I didn't realise Martha's Vineyard held a "Monster Shark" fishing contest until I read this article on my local news site. Here is the link to the rest of the article and a picture of the huge animal: Shark story

Massive Shark Caught Off Massachusetts

Contestant Misses Deadline By 6 Minutes

7/21/05: OAK BLUFFS, Mass. -- It wasn't too little, but it was too late.

Fishermen who hauled in a massive 1,100 pound tiger shark off Massachusetts this past weekend failed to capture first place in the monster shark derby on Martha's Vineyard.

Truly truly sad slaughter of a magnificent beast. I do recall we had a discussion about this tournament last year when they showed photos of a huge Mako that was the winner.
Bunch of us complained to ESPN about it but guess it didn't do anything...

Oh well, am sure plenty of argument pro and for will start now....why not start it here as well, cuz hey i don't go to the New England thread either....:)
I will sit back and enjoy the show!

And Spoon, yes i believe 15ft

Mike, i'm with you it's very sad that they do that and all for a contest. I started the the thread in the NE one since i live in NE. but, it's a sad thing that they kill them. people don't understand what a magnificent creature they are, they are just viewed as maneaters and that's all. I've always been facinated by sharks since i was a young kid. co-worker's of mine came in the other day saying to me..did you see on the news about the tiger that was caught! ya, i saw it and it's pittyful also.

Scuba65:
Mike, i'm with you it's very sad that they do that and all for a contest. I started the the thread in the NE one since i live in NE. but, it's a sad thing that they kill them. people don't understand what a magnificent creature they are, they are just viewed as maneaters and that's all. I've always been facinated by sharks since i was a young kid. co-worker's of mine came in the other day saying to me..did you see on the news about the tiger that was caught! ya, i saw it and it's pittyful also.

Hey Scuba, i was not going to reply to this thread once i started off with what i did because there are so many differing opinions on the board from people who don't apprceiate the life they are so lucky to share the ocean with when they are lucky enough to dive. I really appreciate your support and honesty. I was also fascinated and deathly afraid of sharks as a kid (blame it on the Jaws exhibit at Universal Studios) but i certainly got over it. I have embraced them like no other and continually fight the battle to preserve these magnificent creatures through photography and awareness. I refuse to allow any of my photography or video of sharks to be used in any production that presents them in a negative fashion.
Great to hear from you.

M

Ya, there is so many people and so many opinions..but, I just don't understand that when a sharks bites or kills a person they go and hunt it down and kill it. that really teaches the shark something! they are misundertood creatures, people don't undertands that we are in their territory we are invading their space...we are the outsiders in their world not them. they are protecting their space. people who dive like you say should be greatful and thankful that they get to dive and see all the magnificent stuff. but, it's also the media that make them to be these awful creatures. Do you have some photos of sharks that you've taken that maybe i can look at??? my office is covered with shark pictures and most of them are some i took in the bahamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom