1100 lb Tiger Shark caught in contest near Martha's Vineyard - Combined Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
Look, if you don't want them killed for anything, fine. Just say so.

Bottom line is that they were:

1) Taken legally.
2) Studied.
3) Consumed in some manner.

Now, if those things don't make you happy about it, then it's pretty clear that nothing will. But it *does* refute the complaints that item 2 and 3 were not occuring. Anyone who engaged in the complaint that those things were not occuring, yet now still complains, is simply moving the target and will never be pleased.

i am not sure if you were referring to my post. just to clarify, i certainly never assumed that these sharks were not taken legally, studied and consumed in some manner - although the merit of anyone of these assertions as a justification to kill the sharks is certainly up for debate. i was simply trying to make the point that it is - in my opinion - not a good idea to feed mercury ladden meat to the poor. it does make for good PR but just seems a bit thoughtless. some may even call it cynical. auction off their jaws and buy the homeless some chicken from the proceeds if you really care. i wonder why no one ever thought of that given the organizers' heart warming concern for the poor.

svthom:
Okay, so we are the intruders in the sharks world.. How about scorpions, ants, lice, snakes, spiders and whatever existed on your spot before your house was placed there?

Wellcome to dive on our old divesites in South Africa. Here we live in a sort of aquarium made for rich tourist to come and do shark-spotting and cage-diving. The sharks are increasing heavily in numbers (theyr prey; the seals are not...), and we do not any more dare to swim or scuba were we used to do it before.

In the african sun, 45'C (110'F) we have to sit and look at the water, because a mighty huge submarine is controlling our neighborhood. One old lady was eaten by one of these just some months ago, the same with a 5.year medical student last month.

If you want to say that the ocean is solely for the shark, then it's okay. But, if you want to have people to enjoy water, kids to learn how to swim, divers to dive etc, then , in South Africa, we need the numbers of sharks to go down.

What a big pile of bull****!
Here in South Africa we need the numbers of people trying to turn history around to go down. Luckily S.A. was one of the first countries to protect the sharks.
Everybody but the OP still dives the beautifzúl dive sites, surfs, snorkels, spearfishes and swims.
The old lady who got attacked by the shark swam for her whole life. Every day. She was in her seventies. And there is thousands of people also swimming and surfing and diving and snorkelling their whole life long. And they don't get eaten.
If svthom does not want to go into the water any more, well, in his profession this would be called paranoia.

Back
Top Bottom