12-50mm w/ E-PL1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
anyone used ths combo? in the PT01 housing? does it work?

interested to hear the answers

I put the 12-50 lens into the Nauticam housing for the E-M5 using the 7-14 port and it clears the inside of the dome port. Not sure that it would fit into the stock 14-42 port I think you will need the ZEN 9-18 port to make it work.

Phil Rudin

All you need do is look at the lens and you will see the the current 14-42 zoom gear will not work because the zoom ring on the 12-50 is at least an inch further away from the housing pinion gear than it is with the 14-42.

If you set the 12-50 lens to macro and put it into the housing it will work only within the macro range, that is why Nauticam is making the custom port and gears.

Phil Rudin

that is what i was thinking, phil...lock it into macro and leave it. not the best use of the lens but i'd try it out if i was able to pick one up relatively cheap (AFTER i saw someone else do it with the 9-18 port :wink:).

I do not know with PT01, but with 10bar semi dome port, I can use the zoom ring. No way to operate the macro button though.
Once you set to macro, it stick to 43mm macro.
So, I prefer to use the zoom gear, and then put wet lens for macro.
I heard Nauticam is making special gear, somebody told me it cost more than 500 bucks, wow!

I heard Nauticam is making special gear, somebody told me it cost more than 500 bucks, wow!

According to the Nauticam USA online shop, the gear alone is $550 and the port is another $450 (there is a bundle price = $800 for both). That is alot of cash to be able to dive with this lens, imo.

I haven't seen the new port or new gear, but it must be a considerable drag on the CNC equipment to justify $550usd for a gear unit alone?
Does it carry your bags and milk the cows as well?

According to the Nauticam USA online shop, the gear alone is $550 and the port is another $450 (there is a bundle price = $800 for both). That is alot of cash to be able to dive with this lens, imo.

The 12-50 does not fit into the 14-42 Nauticam flat port (it is too long by very little). It does fit nicely in the 9-18 dome port (I did not test image quality of this combination).

As Phil wrote, the standard zoom gear will not work. However, I think it will be possible to build something (based on the zoom gear I have for the 14-42/9-18). Will report if I manage to get this working...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom