12L vs. AL80? I know capacity is similar, how about tank size/buoyancy characteristics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AL 80 = 11,1 liter

It's about 2 kg more buoyant than a 12 liter. The main difference is the way it's behaves when empty. With a 12l the center of gravity stays almost the same. An AL80 chnages it's center of gravity when nearing emtpty. It can be difficult to manage if you're not prepared.

My be is the OP gets AL80's.

This was their reply so you guys are probably right. No idea why they are calling them 8, 10 and 12L tanks when they are all probably just AL63/80, etc. tanks.
The 12L tanks are exactly the same as 80CU or AL80's. They only have aluminium tanks on board.

Last edited:
This was their reply so you guys are probably right. No idea why they are calling them 8, 10 and 12L tanks when they are all probably just AL63/80, etc. tanks.
Where/who is this operator?

They are probably quoting liter-sized tanks for the European market.

I suppose we'll see. The tank dimensions are different also between the two.
Someone else just emailed me about these tanks So either then have some custom 12L tanks that somehow are the same dimensions as the AL80 or they are just AL80s that they are misrepresenting. I want my additional 1.4L of air!!!! :rofl3:
Hello Dave,

Thank you for you mail.
We confirm hereby dimension of the 12L are the same as the AL80.
Should you require any further assistance please let us know.

Kind regards,

Fred
Dave

Last edited:
They may be referring to the diameter for the tanks.

The OP is going to Thailand and from my experience in SE Asia, 11L Al tank is more or less the standard in the whole area.
A-clamp/yoke is also the standard.
Some operators/liveaboard do have larger tanks eg. Al 13L or 15L.
Steel tank is extremely rare.

Central's is correct. The 11.xL Al tank is the standard tank in Thailand. Some boats offer 15L AL tanks to customers that need extra gas. Yoke valve is standard, but many offer DIN inserts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom