16 GB Sandisk card in a Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danishDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there

Here in denmark the prices for CF cards has dropped by nearly 50% the last 2 weeks.
Therefore the 16 GB Extreme III card from Sandisk is now afforable.

But before i buy, does anyone know if i can use it at all in my Nikon D200 ?

Hi Dave

Thanks for your answer, it does actually help a bit :)

I have talked to Nikon Denmark, and they say they have only tested with 8 GB (like you) and that worked.

So i guess i'll just 2 of them instead :)

See ya

I shoot with a bunch of 4 GB cards in RAW mode in my D200. The issue with the D200 setup isn't so much the storage capacity on your CF cards, but how long you can go before you need to crack open the housing and change the battery.

With my D70, I could shoot pretty well forever before the battery even dropped one bar on the meter. With the D200, it really sucks back the juice and I don't think I'd be able to get more than 300 shots or so before a recharge is needed. That's about enough to fill a 4G card. I wouldn't worry too much about running out of space on an 8G card as you'd need to charge your batteries first before that happens.

The real limiting factor are my strobes, which can only do about 200 full charge flashes.

I agree that the battery is the limiting issue with the D200. I would get nervous having 16 gigs of photos on one card. I have been using 4 gig cards, may bump up to 8 just in case a giant squid stops by.

If you want to know if it works....can't you just take your camera into the shop and ask them to try it?

How can any of you shoot more than 240 (RAW w/ 4gb card) on 2 dives? That's 120 photos per dive, which if you're doing an hour dive, is approximately 1 photo every 30 seconds.

Even for 4 dives, I find that the 4 gb card is more than enough for me. YMMV

howarde:
How can any of you shoot more than 240 (RAW w/ 4gb card) on 2 dives?

From what I have seen here, we have a lot of people that don't bring a laptop/storage device along so they can't download their topside/uw vacation pictures, more memory is the way to go I guess. Personally I would rather have 4-4's or something like that in case something happened to my chip not all would be lost.

justleesa:
From what I have seen here, we have a lot of people that don't bring a laptop/storage device along so they can't download their topside/uw vacation pictures, more memory is the way to go I guess. Personally I would rather have 4-4's or something like that in case something happened to my chip not all would be lost.
Good point. I guess I just assume everyone is like me, and brings their laptop with them everywhere.

justleesa:
Not to get picky, but the original question was simply whether it worked in the D200. (which I don't know the answer to)

In reality though.....you could run a laptop computer with XP and a great deal of software/storage (including Photoshop), on a flash drive of 16Gb.
In fact the Fujitsu Q series notebooks have that option - 16Gb for about US$600 extra, or 32Gb for about US$1600 extra (Samsung Flash internal hard drives). Seems a bit over the top for a camera though......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom