18650 and others battery issue (not charging)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some over-discharged batteries, they should be activated, such as xtar chargers 0V activation technology and 3-stage charging to protect battery life.
INaHhi7vTKeahiAjGxGOlw.jpg

x68tq85iSp-bWs15bxHMTw.gif

I use an @XTAR VC8 charger. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836VHG67 $43 on amazon, it will charge 8 cells but only test four at a time. Comes with the required QC3 wall wart and cable at that price.

In addition to charging, it will characterize capacity and test cell internal resistance. I replaced a liitokala li-500 with this one because I was getting inconsistent capacity results from the liitokala.

I've been using it since May 2020. So far, so good. I've charged li-ion 18650's li-ion 26650's ni-mh AA's, all with no issue. I generally put some masking tape on each cell and record capacity when new, and internal resistance when new. If I start to worry about a particular cell, I can re-test and compare to the original capacity and resistance.

Edit: hah, I didn't see xtar's big ad a few posts up. Well, it's still a good charger.

What resistance measurements do you see with new good quality batteries?

My batteries are between 30 and 60.

Ok thanks, 2 more questions. How often do you test them and any suggestions on flat top 18650's? From work i don't have the length of the batteries. This is what I currently have and are the ones in question... Battery Cell 18650SKU: BATCELL18650-G | Bigblue Dive Lights

Apropos of almost nothing, a word of caution: my BigBlue batteries are just a hair fatter than the rest of my 18650s (not taller; fatter, like 18.2 vs "18".) I have one light (Orcatorch) that has a slim barrel. Do not put the BigBlue battery in the Orcatorch unless you enjoy 10 minutes wrestling and improvising novel gripping methods and centrifugal force apparatuses.

What internal resistance do you cond
What resistance measurements do you see with new good quality batteries?

My batteries are between 30 and 60.
I don't have any new batteries yet but I will report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom