19 Year old almost loses his life freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like your buddy owes you one. But you and your friend made a big mistake. When freediving always use the one up one down method. After coming up from the dive and trying to get your breathe back could of resulted in two people drowning or even worse just watching your friend sink to the bottom. Glad to hear your friend is ok. But next time I would suggest staying at the surface until your buddy is back and gives the ok sign.

Guys, I don't want to be rude, but if you dive with a friend, you WATCH him all the all time!
It's no way that you arrive at the surface and your buddy is still below!
Actually you are suppose to dive by turn, one watching the other and the one doing safety going down to around 30 feet (The last 30 feet having the higher risk of syncope) to pick up his buddy and watch for sign on the way up til 40 second after surfacing. Doesn't matter if you are comfortable a this depth, Too many factor can affect performance

Christophe. Free diving master

There is a lot more to properly breathing up for a dive, clearing protocols after, signs and symptoms to look for in yourself and buddy of blackout, posture, safe progression than could be readily summarized here. If you are passionate about free diving, want to improve, hunt or are just curious, taking a course with one of the quality free diving training organizations like FII, PF makes good sense.

Here's a short point, hyperventilation can easily get you into trouble if done improperly or to excess. The act of hyperventilation deactivates the senses you have that tell you when you need to breath to avoid backout. The thing about blackout is it can come with little warning, you literally can be the last to know. I've seen about 8 blackouts in controlled competitive circumstances. At the time the diver often may have no immediate clue it is coming. The buddy, safety divers or judges for that matter do however. What buddies/safety divers do and how they do it is very important and can result in the blackout clearing in seconds no artificial respiration needed. The courses are a very good idea for folks into free diving.

"just hold your breath and dive"....
Simple, no? hah.
I free dive spearfish pretty much every week and have for the last 8 years. Still a beginner by many standards.
I can hold my breath for 4 minutes (not great but OK) while breathing up and lying on my couch.
I NEVER try to stay down longer than a minute and a half, no matter how good I feel. No matter what fish I see.
I do surface intervals totally relaxed for three times the length of my last dive.
It's not fool proof but me and my buddy get separated a lot. We try to do one up one down but sometimes I don't see him or vice versa.
Crazy sport. High mortality rate. It's easy to push too hard but the consequences are merciless. .

Unfortunately, it is more complicated than that. More than can readily summarized here and that is saying something. For instance, it wouldn't be that hard to describe how you could perhaps double your breahhold duration here. True story. The hard part would be to also summarize how to avoid having your new ability cause you to blackout. Posture alone can impact your tendency to blacking out, how you undertake clearance breathing on the surface, pre dive prep, and a good deal more. Proper buddying a free diver involves more than just being in the vicinity. It includes knowing your buddy for one thing, his habits but also understanding the signs of blackout while the diver is still submerged. It also includes knowing how to properly get him to the surface without inhaling water, positioning him on the surface to be revived and aiding that process in the best way possible. It goes beyond knowing this stuff, you need to be physically trained in its execution. There is a lot to know and that is a good thing, saves guesswork but it is best to seek proper training from a good outfit that specializes in this sort of thing like FII or PF. BTW, I don't have much regard for some specialty certification, merit badges or training for the sake of supporting dive commerce. Despite this I strongly recommend this course of training for a serious free diver, new or long term.

Back
Top Bottom