1919 Train Wreck in N. Idaho - Found it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
After following up on rumors, legends, lies, maps drawn on napkins, and misinformation, today we finally found the 1919 train wreck resting in 112' of fresh water.

It's been said that there are two box cars (one you can swim into) and an engine. There is no engine. But there are two box cars and you can swim into one of them. The other one is half buried and closed at the top.

The wreck is located in the northern tip of Lake Pend Orelle, just northeast of Sandpoint Idaho. Look for Trestle Creek Recreation Area, and park near the small dock. The Rec Area has nice grass picnic areas with BBQs and public restrooms.

The entrance is an easy pebble beach. Do a surface swim out along the rock ledge for about 150', then submerge. Continue south along the wall until you see the trench on your right (west) side. Descend into the trench and continue south, hugging the left (east) side of the trench as it descends. When you get to about 45' deep, you should see some old rails for the tracks that collapsed into the lake with the train cars. Keep going. At about 65', look for a "line", which is actually said to be a phone line of some sort (I've also heard it called a string). Much of it may be buried in silt, so if you see a few inches of it, just lift it up and follow it down. It leads right to the cars.

You'll come over the top of the first car at about 92'. It's half buried and you can't get in. The second car is at about 102' and is open at the top (some parts of the hinged door are still there) and you can swim down into it. Because it is open from the top, there is no overhead.

When you swim over the end of the second car and down to the bottom at 112', you can see the large connectors (sorry, don't know correct train terminology) that link the cars together. You can also look under the car and see some axle and wheel parts.

The old train box cars are in remarkably good condition considering their age, which I credit to the cold fresh water. Water temp. today was 62f at the surface and in the mid 40s at depth. There's other train parts scattered throughout the area and lots of bass in the shallows.

We only spent about 12 mins at the train wreck, but had a total bottom time of 50 mins. We were on air, but this would be a perfect dive for 32%, which I'll have next time.

It was extremely satisfying to finally find the rumored train cars I've been hunting down for over a year now.

Sincere thanks to Joe, owner of AA Diving in Sandpoint, ID for getting the crucial information I needed from a local diver who has actually dived the site.

nice... very nice!

thanks for the report

Rick Inman:
It was extremely satisfying to finally find the rumored train cars I've been hunting down for over a year now.

I'll bet it was!! It's a unique feeling.

I've searched and found "lost towns" in the woods. But that's getting easier some times, now that there are satelite images of most places so easily availible on the internet. Look in the aerial views of forests or marshes, for things that just don't make any sense... If it's not a tree farm, and there are straight lines in the growth, something man made is sitting there...

It's a neat feeling to be moving through the woods and all of a sudden you find the suspected building foundation or old road bet. I let my mind drift, and wonder how long it's been since anyone else last saw it, and what were the circumstances when the LAST horse or car traveled that road before it was reclaimed by the forest...

Just for curiosity, how many trips did you have to take before you found these train cars?

Great job and congratulations!!!

Nice Job Rick!
Congrats on your find, and now because of you divers will be able to enjoy something that was lost for 86 years !

LIT

jwvanno:
Just for curiosity, how many trips did you have to take before you found these train cars?

Great job and congratulations!!!
Just one other dive with Joe and his buddy from AA Dive. Didn't find it 'cause the dive was called at 80' and we never found the line. Went back today with another buddy and some additional info from Joe and found it!

Well done, Rick!!!
Congrats . . .
. . . and a nice report.
I'm not up that way, but thanx for sharing the location and how to get there.
Some divers wouldn't do that.

Very very cool! It's great to be able to find a hidden treasure! Makes me want to take the drive to Idaho. to get wet.

I once rode a freight train cross-country, and remember being on a high bridge over the northern end of a long lake in Idaho...I wonder if it is the same place. As I recall, the bridge was very high. I'll have to dig up my journal of that trip and see if I can find identifying info. I may have crossed over the top of that railroad accident location. The name Sandpoint does ring a bell, but it doesn't mean it was at that pont of the trip.

BTW, the "connectors" between RR cars are called couplers.

The Kraken:
Well done, Rick!!!
Congrats . . .
. . . and a nice report.
I'm not up that way, but thanx for sharing the location and how to get there.
Some divers wouldn't do that.
Thanks, Kraky!
I'm not too worried about sharing the info. You really have to want to make this dive to do it.
Long drive, cold water, low vis, dry suit, advanced depth, good nav skills.

radinator:
Makes me want to take the drive to Idaho. to get wet.

OK, I'll tell you what. You're in Pasadena, CA. Lets just switch houses for a week and you can dive up here and I'll dive down there. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom