1970s Certification with only two dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro

Reaction score
Last night I was having dinner with some old friends, and SCUBA came up. It appears that two of them were certified in the 1970s, but have never dove since then, and both swore that they only did two dives.

One I could chalk up to be a bad memory, but the other could still remember how to plan dives and gas management, and remember all the details on both dives. One shore dive, and one deep dive off of Catalina.

They were both certified in High School and neither could remember which agency.

I've always heard that certification in the 1970s was extreme, so I'm wondering if any body here has heard of such course.

Xanthro:
Last night I was having dinner with some old friends, and SCUBA came up. It appears that two of them were certified in the 1970s, but have never dove since then, and both swore that they only did two dives.

One I could chalk up to be a bad memory, but the other could still remember how to plan dives and gas management, and remember all the details on both dives. One shore dive, and one deep dive off of Catalina.

They were both certified in High School and neither could remember which agency.

I've always heard that certification in the 1970s was extreme, so I'm wondering if any body here has heard of such course.
I did 3 - 2 boat at Coronados Islands on the old Bottom Scratcher and one shore at Kellogg Park in 1981 to get my NASDS O/W (plus a rescue swim in a local lake) And six 3 hr. sessions of class/pool work.

Yes, my wife's aunt was certified in the 70's with her father. The cool part of the story is she was recertified along with my wife at the ripe young age at of 64! She even came along with us on a chartered bus trip to the keys for her check-out dives with a stop on the way back at the springs. This was several months after her aunt spent two weeks rafting down the Colordo River. Pretty amazing lady. I'm pretty sure she will outlive me and I'm only 31.

She actually showed up for class with her original equipement from the 70s including regs, mask and fins. She used the mask and fins through the training and finally agreed to upgrade prior to the open water dive. I think the regs are in a museum now ... just kidding.

Xanthro:

My own experience (in 1973) was that the class was not extreme in the knowledge sense, but it was more physically rigorous than current classes. It had a military feel to it. Lots of emphasis on swimming, harrassment in the pool with a blacked-out mask, lots of duffing and donning. After that, I only made one certification dive and got my PADI "Basic" card. I had to replace the card about 15 years ago because the photo on it didn't look like me anymore, but I still use the replacement card. -Clay

I was certified in 1971 in S. CA, NASDS, Aloha Dive Shop in Reseda, Instructor Roddy Winton. I remember it like it was yesterday, even though I was just 13 years old.

We also had a beach dive and a boat dive. The beach dive was through pounding surf at Will Rogers State Beach. We had to do mouth to mouth on our buddies on the beach, and in the water towing them through the surf. We did our skills in about 25' of water with about 5' visibility. Skills included buddy breathing from a single reg.

The boat dive was at Catalina. Did our skills at 35', and then did two more dives as certified dives on our own - max depth was around 50'.

Most of the divers brought up game - fish or abs or scallops. There were always lots of Sheepshead and Calico bass. Everyone contributed some of their game to a pot of seafood chowder for the ride back to Redondo beach.

Rick Inman:
I was certified in 1971 in S. CA, NASDS, Aloha Dive Shop in Reseda, Instructor Roddy Winton. I remember it like it was yesterday, even though I was just 13 years old.

We also had a beach dive and a boat dive. The beach dive was through pounding surf at Will Rogers State Beach. We had to do mouth to mouth on our buddies on the beach, and in the water towing them through the surf. We did our skills in about 25' of water with about 5' visibility. Skills included buddy breathing from a single reg.

The boat dive was at Catalina. Did our skills at 35', and then did two more dives as certified dives on our own - max depth was around 50'.

Most of the divers brought up game - fish or abs or scallops. There were always lots of Sheepshead and Calico bass. Everyone contributed some of their game to a pot of seafood chowder for the ride back to Redondo beach.
i too was certified in the 70"s my instructor was x seal, yes it was intense, physical and tough. we had the navy tables pounded into our heads with 4 dives and surface intervals, residual nitrogen groups and all that fun stuff on our final exam. and our open water check out dives at van damme state park beach.(ca) i stll have most of my original gear and it still works! the wet suit has shrunk a bit though!!! ken

Most instruction was under better standards in most areas in the 70s than you'll find with most instruction today. OTOH, two check out dives instead of the current four was standard. There was a time when you could be certified as a SCUBA diver with 2 dives or as an Open Water diver with 4. The two dive option was eliminated in 1986.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom