1993 Mares MR12 Navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a brand new in box 1993 Mares MR 12 (gift). Do any of you have any comments or suggestions about this regulator. I am a newbie and will be diving in 30-70 ft from my kayak here in coastal San Diego. If i decide to sell this and purchase a newer more modern one what is this one worth?

CR

ocean wave once bubbled...
I have a brand new in box 1993 Mares MR 12
I dove a much older and very used one Tuesday... I put an Apeks second stage on since it had my molded mouth piece but the old metal MR12 second stage works just fine.

If you intend to dive it, I would have it overhauled by a Mares shop if you have one in your area. While it hasn't been used, the rubber parts are 10 years old and may not be in great shape. That being said, the MR12 is a great regulator for the kind of diving that you are interested in doing. Mares still sells the MR12 on their Proton and Axis lines. You could upgrade to a newer regulator, but I imagine that your current regulator probably wouldn't fetch anymore than around $150 - $200. Also, for the diving you describe, I don't think that a newer regulator would necessarily make a big difference in your dives.

If it were me, I would get your reg serviced and ready to dive. Do some dives with it until you get some experience. Once you've done some diving, so can more easily figure out what features you feel are necessary to the kind of diving you do, and which are less necessary. At that point, you'll be well equipped to purchase a new regulator, and you'll still have a dependable MR12 as a backup.

PurduEE once bubbled...
the rubber parts are 10 years old and may not be in great shape.
they might be as good as the rubber parts in a rebuild kit that has been sitting on the shelf for 10 years.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to dive it... my old MR12 hasn't been serviced for at least 10 years.

But then I haven't used it much in that time either.... it just gets to go out on my roots rig.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

they might be as good as the rubber parts in a rebuild kit that has been sitting on the shelf for 10 years.

That's a good justification for not getting recommended service done for 10 years, but it's flawed in that at least the first stage is still produced, meaning that I can get new service kits today for the first stage. Barring that, nearly any tech can change out the o-rings in the first and second - new o-rings being easy to find....

If you don't want to have it worked on, cool.. Personally, I'd have it looked at, at least a quick bench test (my LDS will do it for free if you ask nice). If the diaphragm or the high pressue seat in the first stage are damaged/brittle from age, you can find yourself at depth with no air - primary or octo. Maybe the failure will happen when you first hook it all up, maybe it'll happen on your fifth dive at 40ft, and maybe it won't happen at all. I'd still check. Having annual service may be more than necessary, but having it in a box on a shelf for 10 years with no service and just leaping into the water with it isn't real smart.

But, as my father says, 'do what you want, cause you will anyway'. :rolleyes:

How did you go with the regulator??? I have one still in use from 1992 and I am happy but then again, I do not know any better :)

OP was a one post wonder - in 2003. It's gonna be a while b4 you hear back from them...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom