1st Dive at Clark Hill Lake in Augusta GA.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool, we're still deciding b/w the river and the lake, but we'll let you know.

As long as there is not significant rain between now and your dive the river will offer better vis. The lake vis is not very good, but if we get a lot of rain the river muds out (a light rain or a slow rain without a down poor will probably not effect it too much.)

Hmm, we might be heading to the river then. Hopefully that Friday rain waits till later.

btw diveprof, you headin to the river on Friday or just the usual Saturday/Sunday?

I have to work Friday. However, I will be diving Saturday and Sunday. I'm also watching the rain to decide the "where." Y'all are welcome to join us either day. I'll post after I see the river conditions Friday afternoon (I plan to go by the boat ramp to check after work Friday).

Hello ya'll , we will be diving the river friday. anyone is welcome to come. We plan to dive the marina and drift down to the Gordon Hwy. ramp its about 1/4 mile.

Hello ya'll , we will be diving the river friday. anyone is welcome to come. We plan to dive the marina and drift down to the Gordon Hwy. ramp its about 1/4 mile.

Hope w'all have a fun dive. I have to work. If you have dove this area much already, then you will probably know the info below already, if not, you may find this suggested dive route info helpful.

For this dive, I like to enter at the upward end of the marina (by the store) off the very north end of the dock. We generally spend time diving around each of the train tressle support pylons (often find fish and other stuff of interest). About 1/3 of the way off the SC shore you will encounter the remains of the old Hamburg cotton docks. The base structure and poles that supported the docks are still there, just cut off a few feet underwater. Fish are often found here, and sometimes the occassional turtle or freshwater eel. To begin the drift down river, you can either go along the remains of the old Hamburg docks (recommended) or along the boats at the marina. You will find that in this stretch of the river that there is a lot of hydrilla and elodea (invasive aquatic weeds) that often reach the surface making diving a bit more difficult. You are generally ok staying near the boats along the marina or the old hamburg docks (I like the old hamburg docks). You may have to surface some to get your bearings to hit the following points - but the river is only about 15-17' deep here. The crumbling pylons just upsteam from the 5th street bridge are neat to look at on the drift south (maybe the one just off to the right of the old hamburg docks). Then swim around the pylons of the 5th steet bridge heading back to the GA side staying under the shadow of the bridge (caution note: between the bridge pylons are horizonal concrete supports that run parallel to shore - north south. If you try to swim directly to the GA side under the bridge they will often pull your dive flag off the stick. Either tie line to secure the flag to the stick at a point below the float or just zig zag back and forth - north and south - until you are out of the bridge shadow, head around the pylon towards the GA side and repeat as you come upon more pylons -hope you understand what I'm trying to convey here). At the south end of the first pylon in the water from the GA side you will find the remains of the old shipwreck (barge). Part of the bow and deck planking, an old boiler. Neat to spend a few minutes here. The wreck remains runs about 50' or so south of the pylon. From here, you have a decision to make based on air and how cold you are. You could stay towards the GA side near the boats and finish your drift to the Boat ramp at the southern end of the marina on the GA side (it is actually under the bridge between shore and the first pylon) or you can cross back to the old hamburg docks until you hit the US 1 bridge and make your way under the bridge back to the GA side (using the same method described above). Lots of weeds b/w 5th street and US 1. Hope this helps. Life is easier if you have a vehicle at each end (dry clothes and towels at the boat ramp end). Have a great dive!

Yes we are putting in at the store , Im not sure of the route we will take I am new to diving. The person we are diving with Rex Mays has been diving many years, He has dove the river often. Sounds like you know the river very well yourself maybe we can dive with you sometime . We were certified by Mike Chambers. Thanks for the info

Yes we are putting in at the store , Im not sure of the route we will take I am new to diving. The person we are diving with Rex Mays has been diving many years, He has dove the river often. Sounds like you know the river very well yourself maybe we can dive with you sometime . We were certified by Mike Chambers. Thanks for the info

You are in good hands with Rex. Tell him Andy says hello. Have a great time. We plan to dive N. augusta Sat @ 10a and Sunday at 1p. Y'all are welcome to join us anytime. As of 4:15p today the river was still clear.

Last edited:
I got Rex to read what you said he knew who you were . The water was 62 degres , we could see about 20 ft. It was a great day diving. hope ya'll have a good weekend diving. Im trying to get Rex on this site help me out give him a call, He is leaving for a week in Belize tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom