1st Dive - Lake Denton, Florida (Lake Diving) :-o

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermomfl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi Guys,

I am currently doing my certification. My first OW dive is coming up this weekend at Lake Denton in Florida which is a popular local dive spot for folks getting scuba certified. We are planning on going down to 40ft and its pretty murky in the deeper parts of Lake Denton.

Of course my 1st concern is well.... it's a lake and there could be gators and poisonous snake and my 2nd concern is, you see all over local TV in the summer months to not swim in lakes because there could be a brain eating amoeba in fresh water. Has anyone gone diving at Lake Denton in the Summer months? Have you seen any gators or poisonous snakes there? Overall for those fresh water divers in the summer months, how concerned should I be able those brain eating amoebas? I am freaking out a bit cause I know we keep getting local notifications to be cautious about swimming in lakes with temperatures as high as they have been down here in FL recently and Lake Denton is not a spring fed lake. We have a great instructor but she hasn't said too much about it and said that people dive there all the time year round. Not sure if I should go through with it. I wish I could skip it and just do the ocean dive as I am not as afraid about seeing a shark.

Thanks!

63268164.jpg

the photo above is funny......but I'm sure all is good...... but if your really concerned have a long talk with your instructor about ocean cert.....

I wish I could do 2 ocean dives or do just pool dives and then ocean for the checkout. I talked to the instructor and the only way to get certified is the lake dive this weekend and then the ocean dive the following week. Gonna have to suck up my fears and just do it. :(

i NEVER bring students to the lake. If their main diving will be ocean i go from the pool to the Blue Heron Bridge then off a boat. If they are going springs and caves....we train in the springs and caves.
Training needs to be realistically based

That's from an old thread about the Lake:
Lake Denton Florida

It looks like a pretty busy place so I wouldn't be too concerned about wildlife. As far as bacteria- I would imagine there's a county/city watchlist for areas with high bacteria load. If it were a potential issue, someone would probably close the lake. That being said, I'm not familiar with that area so I don't know where to look. I would talk to your instructor and just tell him/her your concerns. If you don't feel safe, don't dive... That's like the #1 rule. You can find another dive shop, try again another time when you feel more comfortable, etc.

If its Florida and a body of water bigger than a bathtub there's probably a gator in it.

They don't want anything to do with you.

Even with the threat of gators in a body of water do divers still dive at a location? I am a northerner so it surprises me at all that folks even dive fresh water here in FL. I have asked around since I found out that is where we were diving and it seems that everyone says no gators have been spotted and if there were to be any they would stay far away considering all the students there on Sat and Sun diving so I guess I am ok. I know my first dive down I will be a bit shaky until I get used to being down there without great viz.

Even with the threat of gators in a body of water do divers still dive at a location? I am a northerner so it surprises me at all that folks even dive fresh water here in FL. I have asked around since I found out that is where we were diving and it seems that everyone says no gators have been spotted and if there were to be any they would stay far away considering all the students there on Sat and Sun diving so I guess I am ok. I know my first dive down I will be a bit shaky until I get used to being down there without great viz.
I've been to lake Denton many times and other fresh water spots lots and lots.

Been less that 2ft from a gator on deco.

They seriously aren't going to mess with you. You're big, scary, and make loud noises with each breath.

Nobody says you need to do your OW dives with that shop. Go where you can find ocean diving and have them sign of on you for your cert. We had a 12 year old boy in class and he and his father were going to Fla. to ocean dive for his cert. Not sure of logistics but ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom