1st Dive - Lake Denton, Florida (Lake Diving) :-o

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the shop can give you a referral for OW checkout dives. I do a lot that way as the shop i hang out with offers lots of training options and run their own boats. (www.stuartscuba.com)

Even with the threat of gators in a body of water do divers still dive at a location? I am a northerner so it surprises me at all that folks even dive fresh water here in FL.

My husband and I did our OW completely in freshwater. In central florida, it is at least 2hrs to either coast so it just makes sense to do the dives in the many springs (or lakes) that we have. There's TONS of diving in the springs up here. Personally, I'm not really interested in diving the springs recreationally, but it was fine for training. The LDS we used (doesn't exist anymore) did Devil's Den in Williston and some state park, I can't remember which, for our OW class. We just did our AOW and went to a place called Hudson Grotto (talk about creepy)- over 150 ft deep and tannic water so it's black after like 40'! Deep dive and night dive, check!

Gators really won't be an issue. You will be making entirely too much noise for them. Just stick with the group and you'll be fine... but really, if you're concerned, try a dive shop that's on the coast.

gators and sharks don't like big loud things.... and Steve down at Gold Coast Scuba can hook you up with the referrals/dives etc. Shore dives from LBTS and boat. And there are hotels right there on the beach and within walking distance of the shop. May have packages with the local hotels for diving & scuba. Your decison should be made on where you plan on doing most of your diving. in the freshwater spings or in the ocean around florida, etc.

First of all let me start by telling you that you're approaching the whole diving adventure with the wrong attitude.
If you're going to be fearful of the unknown you'll never enjoy diving the way most adventurous people do.
Caution and commonsense go hand in hand but you have to ask yourself if the risks you fear are worth the rewards.
I'm not trying to be mean I'm only being realistic, fear can paralyze you at the worse time and it will become your worst enemy in a real emergency.
It sounds to me that you need additional time and training in the right environment so that when the time comes you will know that you are prepared. Don't let anyone advance you to the next step if you're not comfortable in taking it.

Back
Top Bottom