1st time Bonaire, 1st time no dive guide, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are there during the right time of the month, dont miss an ostracod night dive.
In Nov 2019, the Full Moon is Nov 12, New Moon is Nov 26, so the days in between are target days for Ostracods, with the best days being maybe Nov 13-16 or so. Sunset during those days is 1804, so expect the display from about 1850-1930 or so. Find a location with minimal lighting from shore; it needs to be dark. Turn off your lights and let your eyes dark-adapt for a few minutes.

I stayed in the El Pueblo Villas last November. Quiet area, great sunsets and we enjoyed the dark skies with plenty of stars at night. Oil slick is the closest by road and right in front of EPV is Kalli's reef, you will see the mooring but Kalli's is challenging to enter from shore and there is no exit (drift to the next site). Until you get a few dives in and feel comfortable on Bonaire, I'd recommend starting out at Pinks, Oil Slick, or Invisibles and work your way up. The Andrea sites, Jeff Davis, and Webbers Joy are not difficult and close, but probably not what I'd recommend for the first dives. If you are there during the right time of the month, dont miss an ostracod night dive. The guide books, shop staff, and (wet) divers in the parking lot are great resources to ask for advise.
EPV is the northern end of development on the west coast so plan your tank exchange and shopping strategically. Buddy Dive has a tank exchange at the Caribbean Club just past the entrance to EPV. We got tanks from VIP and although they had generous fills and good service, they only had the 1 location which closes at 5pm. If I were to say at EPV again, I might consider getting tanks from another shop. VIP had larger (15L) tanks available if desired, I'm not sure about the others. As previously mentioned, it's a good idea to get a tire filler, and always follow the "rules" when you park - windows down, doors unlocked, nothing of value inside. Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the island in November.

VIP now has a 7x24 drop off and fresh tank pickup locker onsite for customers... excellent service and fills, for sure.

divefriends are doing an ostracod dive on the 20th if you want to come with us?

scratch that, you are coming in Nov, not august...just realized :)

Back
Top Bottom