1st time to Florida. SHould I stay around Ft Lauderdale or venture to the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope ya have a great time while your here Anna....the Keys...and Pennecamp are not to be missed!! Its my FAVORITE place to dive!!

Rental gear is available if you ask around...that shouldn't create an issue...

I AM surprised....that someone in our SB community hasn't offered to take ya diving in Key Largo yet!!

Hint..hint..SB'ers!!!

are you trying to play matchmaker here? :wink:

easy to find rental gear --- but i'd recommend bringing your own wetsuit if possible - or pick up a cheap Evo 3mm from Divers Direct on the way down.

There is good shore diving in Ft. Lauderdale. Next door in Pompano, there are a lot of shallow reefs that are pretty good. West Palm and Jupiter are close by to the North and the drift diving is very good. If you want to drive down South to Key Largo, the diving is excellant. Although it may cost a little more to stay down there depending on where you stay.

Best big animal dives are in NE Florida.GWS,Northern Right Whale and Mola migrating now.More big species here than can be imagined but it's deep,a long drive and accessible best only on private boats.

I can't recommend the Keys enough for shallow dives with Pennecamp park leading the pack.My wife and I prefer the offshore reef 3 to 5 miles out to the inshore as vis is normally better.The Keys wrecks in 100'+ mostly have good growth and macro subjects and most have parts sticking up into the water column much shallower.

For shore diving,we found the area north of Ft. pierce to Vero on A1A to be nearly uninhabited at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom