1st trip Bonaire - luggage/gear/etc questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my checked luggage I always pack my dive gear first then add what I consider to be extras until I am at the weight limit. By extras I mean clothing. It helps to have a lightweight suitcase. My camera, regs, mask, lights and computers go in my carry-on.

As a new diver, if you are trying to get familiar with your gear, my suggestion would be to take your knife/shears/SMB/whatever with you. If you are not going to use it diving then why do you have it? I have used my knife to cut fishing line several times on Bonaire, but mostly I use it to cut my oranges between dives.

As you have noticed, everyone has their own way of diving on Bonaire. The great thing is that after a couple of days on the island you will have figured it out and will also be part of the group.

Have a great trip.

Couple of other little hints.... bring a few extra large garbage bags, they take up no room, you can put them on the seat of your truck so your butt is not wet when you go out to dinner. Then you can wrap your stinky wet stuff for the trip home. Also, when you get to the grocery, buy a couple of large 2-3litre bottle of soda or water and some small ones. Use them for water while diving. Feeeze some and throw in back of truck for drinking, fill the others vand keep in back of truck to get warm/hot to rinse off with...........Do not laugh, feels very good.

Particularly since I bring a camera on shore dives I always felt like I couldn't carry too much water in the truck for rinsing after the dive. The grocery store doesn't have any bags for your groceries so make sure you bring your own.

Particularly since I bring a camera on shore dives I always felt like I couldn't carry too much water in the truck for rinsing after the dive. The grocery store doesn't have any bags for your groceries so make sure you bring your own.

yeah, we always took a bottle of water to drink after a dive and a bottle to rinse camera gear. I forgot about the grocery bag thing, thanks for mentioning it. :wink:

and yes, you need good hard-soled booties for many of the shore dives. Also, be away that the stair entries sometimes are slick. I slipped on the stairs at Buddy's one dive, bounced down to the next step and it hurt almost as much as a rough shore entry!

robin:D

yeah, we always took a bottle of water to drink after a dive and a bottle to rinse camera gear. I forgot about the grocery bag thing, thanks for mentioning it. :wink:

and yes, you need good hard-soled booties for many of the shore dives. Also, be away that the stair entries sometimes are slick. I slipped on the stairs at Buddy's one dive, bounced down to the next step and it hurt almost as much as a rough shore entry!

robin:D

Personal opinion - the stairs on most docks are the most dangerous place on the island!

We weren't planning to take food.

I recommend bringing powdered lemonate/gatorade/iced tea packets. You can save a ton of money (and unecessary garbage) by mixing up bottles of whatever you like and chilling them in the fridge in your room - versus buying softdrinks all week.

Particularly since I bring a camera on shore dives I always felt like I couldn't carry too much water in the truck for rinsing after the dive.

Walmart.com: Coleman 5-Gallon Shower Camp: Camping
$9 at the local WallyMart. Fill it in the morning, set it on the roof of the truck while you dive. More than enough toasty warm water to do rinses of yourself, your buddy and your camera gear for 4 dives. Weighs almost nothing when empty and fits inside the foot pocket of a fin perfectly for the trip down and back home.

Thanks Phil, I have seen the people with this and I keep forgetting to get one so I just ordered it from Wal-Mart. Can't wait to use it in Feb - March.

Back
Top Bottom