1st trip to Fiji and Australia - a few questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Shasta Man. Some pics would be fabulous, if you have the time.

I'm trying to figure out if we'd notice the jet fuel smell. We are in and out of small airports all the time and we don't even notice a smell. Skywest Airlines comes into Palomar Airport here in Carlsbad, as well as lots of business jets... I guess maybe we're immune to it by now!

Carole

I'd have to agree w/Mr Shasta....read the descriptions, but also pay attention to the on line reviews, the lonely planet books, etc.

Garden Island is a good example. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but they're still working on their new website. Many of the pictures are from the resort, but some (the one showing sandy beaches) are either taken from the little island off shore you can kayak to, or from the costal walk/hike tours, etc. They also have some pic's from the catholic mission which is actually a few miles down the road.

It's all accessable, but would be mis-leading if you expected it all right outside your door.

I'll try to post a couple pics on Friday night.

My thought is I try to get what I paid for. I have something in mind when I want to go somewhere, and purchase to match that. If it doesn't turn out to be that, then, of course, I don't like it. Not the end of the world but not what I wanted. I'd rather hear I have to pay more to get it or go somewhere else rather than getting false info. I think that's only fair.

What triggered my info about the Coconut Grove was that you said "you had your heart set on it" in trying to find a place to stay. I inferred that you were basing your opinion on your interests matching their descriptions. As my experience was that places aren't always as described, I wanted to mention this need for taking their descriptions with a grain of salt.

For this particular place, you could go there. Might be perfect for your interests. I have the aforementioned issues but they might be nothing to you. My consideration is whether I could pay the same elsewhere.

Thanks Papa Bear. We're considering Beqa Lagoon again now (after seeing a good price on a package), but I still like the idea of Taveuni because it's the "garden island", the flight to get there (vs. a taxi and boat ride to Beqa Lagoon Resort)... and because of the topside adventures (hikes, waterfalls, coastal walks, village visits, etc.).

Carole

Beqa has all the above and some great people, home of the Fire Walkers! Did you see the Tiger Shark?

I did indeed! Quite amazing. So, I have read that Beqa Lagoon Resort caters to Americans and you don't really get the same local / cultural feel you might get on an island like Taveuni... Did you think that was the case?

Just not true unless you stay in the resort the whole time! The two next door villages are wonderful Ravi-Ravi the School Village (take supplies) and the island Chief's Village Raukua! Both will welcome you with open arms! If you want to impress them stop at Jack's and around the corner is the Open Air Market buy a Savu-Savu gift Kava Root and ask for a Chief bundle! You will treated like family and invited to Kava! Ask for my friend Amos and he will introduce you and for about 20 us per person will cook a Lovo for you for lunch! That's a Fijian Bar-B-Q cooked in the ground and you have never had food so good! You will see Fajian hospitality at its best! We spend more time in the villages than the resort! I am Ratu Reed an Honorary Chief of Beqa Island. Here is some village pictures: Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

The man on my right is the Island Chief! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services
806__MG_0054_Group_Picture_at_Beqa_Lagoon_Fiji_07.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom